Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > 1983 Honda Magna v45, No-start

1983 Honda Magna v45, No-start

This is a discussion on 1983 Honda Magna v45, No-start within the Honda forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Hey! New the cyclechaos forum and site. Hope some of you guys can help me on this one. So, I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011   #1

Default 1983 Honda Magna v45, No-start

Hey!

New the cyclechaos forum and site. Hope some of you guys can help me on this one.

So, I got a non running 83 v45(guy told me it wasnt hitting on one cylinder), so i pulled the carbs, did a full clean(I'm a certified kawi tech... cleaned many carbs in my day), got the carbs back on the bike. The fuel pump will not pump when hooked up like it should be.. be when i jump it off the batt is pumps just fine..., so i let the pump run for a good couple mins to get the bowls full. Sprayed some carb cleaner in all carbs, went to start.. and nothing.

So pulled the plugs, which looked pretty rough an changed them(each cylinder fired with the new plugs).

Did a compression test, I got 125psi on the back two, and 150psi on the front to cylinders...

Opened up the drains on all the bowls... got fuel out of each of them(I did noticed the gas in the sub tank was pretty rough an pumped all that out, so it has fresh 91 octane in it).

Only thing I haven't done is a valve clearance check.

Any advice or suggestions would be great. I've gotten more bikes to run that havent ran in years then I can be remember...and this one has me baffled.

Sorry for the long read!
landygrundy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #2

Default 1983 v45

Quote:
Originally Posted by landygrundy86 View Post
Hey!
New the cyclechaos forum and site. Hope some of you guys can help me on this one. So, I got a non running 83 v45(...)
Any advice or suggestions would be great. I've gotten more bikes to run that havent ran in years then I can be remember...and this one has me baffled.
Sorry for the long read!
I suggest you have a look at Early Honda V4 History "There would eventually be more than seventy official Honda notices concerning the early V4s."

It explains details of this model's history. In short, the early Honda V4 were plagued with premature head cam wear due to poor oil pressure at that level. Some corrective kits were manufactured, and several white papers published to explain how to use and modify valves adjustments that were poorly designed. This is one of the rare LEMONS in the history of Honda motorcycles.

I suggest you get a Shop manual before you get any further into your couragious attempt to revive this potentially marvelous machine, despite the fact it is hard to maintain in good shape. I drove a Magna and loved it.

Last edited by lamimartin; 04-08-2011 at 08:38 PM.
lamimartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #3

Thanks for the info, I have read a bit about the cam issues.

I do have a manual. Looks like ill have to pull the valve covers and take a look
Old 04-08-2011   #4

I also suggest you have a look at an old discussion about the V45 Hi guys.....

In short... " ... I really like Honda vintage motorcycles, but the Honda 1983 V45 is a very high risk. Premature wear of the engine head cams occured if an oiling kit was not installed. Valves were notoriously difficult to adjust and to keep tuned up."
Old 04-08-2011   #5

Thanks, I'll have a look tomorrow an see whats up.
Old 04-09-2011   #6

Cams look good... they show some wear but nothing that seems alarming to me for a bike with 30,000 miles.

Valves are way out of spec, I'll have to adjust all of them.
Old 04-09-2011   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by landygrundy86 View Post
Cams look good... they show some wear but nothing that seems alarming to me for a bike with 30,000 miles.
Valves are way out of spec, I'll have to adjust all of them.
That's good ... and predictible news. If you already have near acceptable compression with such out of spec valves, this is very good news and likely the cause the bike engine was abandonned. Some talented and patient mechanic was needed.

I read there has been special tools and procedures documented to make this task manageable. I hope you have a shop manual with up to date information. Fortunately, you know what your are doing.

Have you got an oiling kit installed ? Apparently, it is essential, unless the original parts have been modified.

I'm a vintage Honda fan, but not a mechanic. I love the sound of Honda V4 engines. It is running so smooth if you can make it purrrrr

Let me know if you can't find a spare part. I know a few sources of old and new ones.

Good luck !

Martin
Old 04-09-2011   #8

Would you know how to check if the ingnitors are bad? I seem to be able to get spark out of both, but its kinda intermittent...
Old 04-10-2011   #9

On such Honda vintage bike (I drive a CM400 1980), a weak or intermittent spark can be caused by a variety of reasons:
The most common is a weak battery, easy to test.
The next things to check are a weak ignition coil, damaged high tension spark plug leads, CDI (impossible to test), loose or broken ignition ground wire, corroded pulse generator. Since CDI can't be tested, you must eliminate all other causes.

Under the flywheel, there is a pulse generator. You need a special puller to get there (as indicated in the Shop manual). It is quite common on such vintage bike to see water infiltration and extensive rust that interferes with pulse generator operation. Pulse generator assembly is part of the stator assembly, which is a possible expensive part to replace if you see obvious damage or unsufficient voltage from the generator. If the flywheel shows little rust and cable harness looks OK, I would check it last.

Next to check is the voltage regulator. Testing procedure is a no brainer but you must remember it can be fried from sparks and reverse voltage (it is diode based).

Next in the chain is the CDI. It cannot be tested with common shop tools. Failure rate is not very high but whenever needed, replacement new parts are very rare and used ones remain very expensive. The only practical way to test is to eliminate all other causes and check with a good part. You must purchase from a serious vendor that can really say it was pulled from a running bike.

Next is the ignition coils and spark plug wire assembly: failure from vibration, corrosion and heat is quite high, but it can be tested with shop tools and it can sometimes be repared. Replacements are fairly easy to find on Ebay and maybe new from third party sources.

I also suggest you replace all of your glass fuses which often get corroded even if they look and test oK for continuity.

Being a mechanic, you probably knew all that, but I hope it helps you make up your mind on the context of such vintage Honda.

Good luck.

Last edited by lamimartin; 04-10-2011 at 06:29 AM.
lamimartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011   #10

Right, I understand how the ignition system works. Looks like I'll have to start testing away. Never been a big fan of the electrical part of it all haha.