Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Honda Twinstar

This is a discussion on Honda Twinstar within the Honda forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Hey I own a Honda Twinstar and love it so far. It's perfect for me starting out on and so ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2006   #1

Default Honda Twinstar

Hey I own a Honda Twinstar and love it so far. It's perfect for me starting out on and so far it's been pretty reliable. Anyways just wanted to see what you guys think about the Twinstars and any tips I should know about keeping it running well for as long as I can will be greatly appreciated. I'll post pics when I get my digital camera working...Thanks and I look forward to hearing your opinions...
jack f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006   #2

Default Honda Twinstar

My dad has owned 2 and rode them basically for 15 years. He liked them a lot. Whenever you can find spare switches and what not from a recycler get them. I think he only had some problems once with the throttle cable, starter/turn signal switch and rectifier along with the usual maintenance during the whole time he owned either one. A spare rectifier is a good item to have as well. Thats one of the most expensive parts on the bike
that will usually go out. Simple bike and reliable as hell.
spdjunkie126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006   #3

Default Honda Twinstar

I have an 1980 Twinstar and love it a lot. I'm 5'11' 230lbs, everyone said it would be too small.

"You won't be able to take it on the highway!" So, never wanted to. It's great around town, 70+ miles per gallon. No problem running up to 55 mph. (could go more but I'm chicken) Has about the same acceleration as a 4 cylinder car.

Advise, change the oil. Bought mine recently, while I was getting new tires, had the oil changes. The bike had more power, gear box was smoother, less vibration, and the motor sounded better. Guess it had been a while since the previous owner changed it.

For parts, I have found Ebay and Craigslist to have plenty of parts. I used BikeBandit to order the tire, I won't work with them. Have had a good experience with Motorcycle super store.

Repair manual. Clymer Twinstar 1978-1981. They are on ebay. Don't get the moder one that groupd the twinstar in with the Nighthawk and Rebel. I followed the set up instructions for handle bars, breaks and shifter lever. Over the years, people had "Played" with the positioning. I much prefer the stock setup.
minn j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006   #4

Default Honda Twinstar

I think I'm going to end up getting a twinstar at the rate fuel prices are going. I plan on starting a career with NS railroad this year and I could use something thats fast enough for regular highways, but not the interstate and gets great fuel mileage.
virgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006   #5

Default Honda Twinstar

I want one!
DaveyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #6

Default Honda Twinstar

I've got an 81 200 Twinstar I bought for my daughter(she has yet to ride it).
On the speedometer it shows the shift pattern and it indicates that you can take it up to 50 mph in 3rd. I find that in 4th at that speed it sounds pretty wound up. What have any of you guys had one up to? Mine is in top form.
rohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #7

Default Honda Twinstar

I have an 81 cm200t. Its been a great bike although right now I'm trying to fix a major oil leak. Ive gotten it up to 65mph. a little scary on a bike that small.
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #8

Default Honda Twinstar

My CL200 did 65 too without a problem. It was very smooth and the engine sounded like it was enjoying it too. The bike's previous owner got the bike up to 80 mph.. not a wise decision though.

The only advice I can offer so far, as I'm a very new owner to my CL, is to change the oil often. It does not have a normal oil filter, so the oil will get dirty quickly. Don't put in "energy conserving" oil either.. it will damage your clutch parts.

P.S. - Nice bike, point. I'm looking forward to taking my CL on the 1600 mile journey from ND to BC haha. I'm not sure I'm crazy for thinking about it or not. I go to Agassiz, the other side of Chilliwack during the summer.
ANNETTE S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #9

Default Honda Twinstar

80?? that IS nuts. And a trip to B.C. thats nuts also, but very doable. sounds like fun. I would love to do a trip like that on mine. I would definitely be making a lot of pit stops.
Radioactive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006   #10

Default Honda Twinstar

hey group, just checking in here, too....

Am glad to hear such positive input from the group for the model. I know the twinstars have been around and evolved into the current rebel, so there is some legacy there.
Being a sure advocate of the old Hondas, I have every expectation this bike will be easy to get running and keep running, like every one I've run into previously.

Dunno about your Trans Canada trek, but I might buzz mine the 25 miles into nearby Portland, Oregon. At 200 cc, I expect it can hold 55 mph, though there's a couple hills that will test it's gumption.
I won't be hitting a true freeway, so 55-60 mph will be quite adequate.

Mostly, it's a hobby bike, something to fiddle with... also, my gf has never ridden but wants to learn.
SCORE!!! I'm gonna nurture that, you can be sure. I figure this little bike will be a perfect trainer for her.

I've included a camera phone pic from where I picked my bike up, 9-21-08

I'll keep the board posted as I get along with it.
windgenral44 is offline   Reply With Quote