Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Honda Twinstar

This is a discussion on Honda Twinstar within the Honda forums, part of the Manufacturers category; hey guys i have a 1978 honda twinstar i have put quite a bit of work into and i really ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009   #11

Default my bike

hey guys i have a 1978 honda twinstar i have put quite a bit of work into and i really enjoy it but here lately if i put a new battery on her it is dead in about a week and will no longer hold a charge....ive been told it may be a regulator?rectifier problem..i was wondering if anyone could confirm. here are some pics of my bike
zbdh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #12

Default twinstar 1978

A new battery that does not charge is indeed a clue that the charging system is not working properly. It is not uncommon to fry a voltage regulator with a spark or reverse voltage. Boosting a weak battery to start is often deadly for electrical components. With such an old bike, you must also CHANGE THE FUSES and check for wire harness corrosion.

You should first check get a Service Manual (such as Clymer) for specific procedure on troubleshooting electrical problems. Changing parts at random will cost you far more than the manual. You have to know your bike because there will not be lots of mechanics that will touch a 30 year old bike, by fear of being unable to find parts for it.

In the worse case, you may have to lift the flywheel to service the alternator which will require a special puller. Once again, without the Service Manual, you can cause a lot of damage by not knowing the proper dismantling procedure.

Good luck !
Old 05-08-2012   #13

Hello to all
I just bought a Honda twinstar 185cc and its my first bike and I am loving it it has been 25 years from the last time I was on a bike and to be on one again its great. People where telling me that it would be to small but the gas prices are crazy hear in Ontario and to insurances is cheap and i can go any where they can go and i am very happy with it how fast are you guys getting from your bikes
btcombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #14

Default Twinstar 185

I really liked my first bike: a 1971 Honda CB175, which is essentially the ancestor of the Twinstar 185. It is a great bike, much better than any scooter, stable, easy to handle and quite rugged. There is plenty of power to get (slowly) to legal speed limits. It is NOT a good choice with a passenger or for long rides, because of limited cargo, braking and power capacity.

Currently, I'm driving a Honda CM400 (stilll a vertical twin) with the same pleasure and the option to make safe rides with a passenger. Gas economy is better... on my 2005 Smart diesel I'm using every day for work, but that is another story: Old bikes with carbs are NOT fuel economy or performance champs by any means.