Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Kawasaki > My kawasaki ninja 600r, engine grinds when i try and start it

My kawasaki ninja 600r, engine grinds when i try and start it

This is a discussion on My kawasaki ninja 600r, engine grinds when i try and start it within the Kawasaki forums, part of the Manufacturers category; My '92 ninja 600R has been running ok all summer. It was linking a little gas after riding sometimes. I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006   #1

Default My kawasaki ninja 600r, engine grinds when i try and start it

My '92 ninja 600R has been running ok all summer. It was linking a little gas after riding sometimes. I assumed it was the floats sticking since it only leaked gas after i stopped and it took a while for it to start leaking. Since it was linking gas i was having to push the started for a few seconds before the engine would catch.

One day i went out to the parking lot at work and saw a huge puddle of oil. I checked my levels and it seemed ok to drive it the 2 miles home. When i got home i located the leak. The leak was coming from my external shift mechanism's, o-ring. So i removed the shift linkage cover, and the engine sprocket (holding the chain), and then finally the shift linkage cover. I fixed the o-ring and put everything back together. The bike isn't leaking oil anymore but when i tried to start the engine it sounded like it was going to start then made a grinding noise (which it never made before). So i disassembled everything again and put it back together. It did the same thing. I took it into a shop and they said it was the starter. I didn't think it was since the bike worked before i fixed the leak and didn't work after, but i changed the starter and the started switch anyway. This didn't do anything, and I've been stumped ever since. Any advise or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks
chandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #2

Well, now you're down to either the starter clutch located on the magneto/flywheel or the idler gear. My guess is the starter clutch.
Delena J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #3

Would that explain the grinding noise that the bikes make when i try and start it?
chandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #4

Yes, that would almost for sure be a starter clutch. Unless there are teeth broken off the idler gear for the starter if it has one.
melissa6950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #5

Unhappy Help please

I Have the same exact bike, 92 zx600r-c, How did you fix the leaking gas probem, because mine does the same thing, when i park it, its fine but when i come out 5 minutes later its slowly dripping gas, is it the carbs or what, it fill up the airbox and leaks out from where the idle adjustment is, Also the clutch seems like its knocking but idk if thats the engine or the clucth, Please help if you can
RyanMFkitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #6

My 96 zxc600 makes that same noise till I have the idle just right. It tends to stall shortly after the noise starts. Replacing the entire clutch did nothing. Rebuilt the motor and the noise is still there when its about to stall.
BIGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote