Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Suzuki > TIPS - that first wheelie... on a gsxr600

TIPS - that first wheelie... on a gsxr600

This is a discussion on TIPS - that first wheelie... on a gsxr600 within the Suzuki forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Hey guys, Any tips in general when learning to wheelie? Any specific tips for wheeling on a 2000 GSX-R600? And ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006   #1

Default TIPS - that first wheelie... on a gsxr600

Hey guys,

Any tips in general when learning to wheelie?

Any specific tips for wheeling on a 2000 GSX-R600?

And of course, how...? I think I know, just want to be sure. From what I've read I can (A) Rev it up high, let off the throttle till it drops to around 9k, and then crank it. (is this for 1st gear, 2nd, or any...?) --- or (B) Be in, say, 2nd gear @ 5k, clutch in, rev to 10k, pop the clutch?

Is that right? If not, what do I do? And what should I be careful of and watch out for? What is the safest way to do this and the best way to learn?

Also, how many of you dropped the bike when learning to wheelie? I really don't want to drop the bike

Dan
blodgettboy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #2

Use throttle in first gear, go slow and be patient. I'm not even sure of specific revs to be at...I just felt for the sweet spot. Revved it up...let off for a sec...then whacked it open. Trial and error. Be careful, don't overdo it. Look around online - theres a million posts and guides to wheelying off the throttle.

Scoot your ass back in the seat, lower the pressure on your rear tire, stiffen the shock. Do it in an empty parking lot in full gear and don't claim it on insurance if you wreck.
sweetcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #3

^ What he said & wear gear.
Marth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #4

I wouldn't use the clutch method at first as its less predictable and easier to make a mistake. That said, crashing is VERY likely when learning to wheelie so wear your gear and don't claim it on your insurance like was mentioned.
pR3Mi dHaRmA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #5

yeah i am learning and i suck at it.. but what i did was learn how to wheelie like a mofo on my little dirtbike then translate that to the big gix... in first gear: I usually go from 12-15 mph standing on the pegs push down (bounce) on the front wheel close the throttle and when suspension uncompresses you give it a lil whack and it will pop right up a lil bit.. my lil wheelies are like popcorn and only come up like 1 foot at the most... im all about learning slow :P anyways same thing goes for sitdowns... chop the throttle, and when the suspension is popping back up just whack the throttle. if nothing happens you arent giving it enough throttle.. it feels to me the faster you are going the easier it is to ride em out.. be careful in first gear, you could loop... dont use the clutch unless you really got a feel for your bike.. but its a good way to let the bike get away from you and then you will cry when your bike launches across the street and you land on your little head.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #6

also intersections are fun cuz they usually rise up in the center of the intersection and go back down as you pass the center point.. u hit the top of that little rise and then just give it some gas and the bike launches over it.. front wheel comes right up and its almost effortless when i say comes up im not talkin 12 o clock im sayin like 1 foot or so... u gotta find the right speed.. which is generally 10-16mph then once you get these little wheelies down and get comfy with the way it feels, make them bigger... use more gas and learn your bike... better if u can do this somewhere out of the way cuz on the street if i cop sees u you are done
jcalaz2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #7

wear ALL your gear.... day before yesterday i looped my bike at about 30 (probably wouldnt have if i would have pushed my rear brake pedal).... anyhow i didnt think i needed my gloves, well i was wrong check my hand out, those big red circles are down to the meat.... Be carefull and wear ALL OF YOUR GEAR

if i would have had boots and gloves on all that would have happened would be a sore leg, and it stopped hurting last night
dee613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #8

amen
samir s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #9

Dirt bikes are a great way to getting the feel of wheelies, espicially finding that balance point where you can just sit there playing with the throttle and back brake.

Plus when you fall off its just a grass stain on your jeans :D and dirt bikes don't break... much.
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote