Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha > Virago Starter Squeal

Virago Starter Squeal

This is a discussion on Virago Starter Squeal within the Yamaha forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Hey guys. This is concerning my 2005 Virago 250. Whenever I start it when it is really cold (45-50*) and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006   #1

Default Virago Starter Squeal

Hey guys. This is concerning my 2005 Virago 250. Whenever I start it when it is really cold (45-50*) and the bike has sat for a few days, I hear a squealing noise. The bike still starts and everything else is fine but the noise just sends chills down my spine. It is specifically happening as I am RELEASING the starter button, after it has cranked a few times.

I remember reading about older Viragos on Craigslist that had "typical Virago starter noise", and I suppose this is what the sellers were speaking of.

Bike has almost 5000 miles on it and just got a new chain and oil/filter change.

Anything I can do, or need to be concerned about?
beginer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006   #2

Default Virago Starter Squeal

The starter noise with older Viragos closely resembled the sound of rocks bouncing around inside a steel box. It involved starter gears grinding inside the engine case and the ring-gear inside the starter spinning, when it was supposed to remain stationary. This condition does not afflict newer Viragos.

What your issue sounds like to me is a dry bearing in the starter or somewhere in the starting mechanism. (I'm painfully familiar with older Virago starters, but not with yours).

Find a parts schematic online and see if you can identify a bearing that might be noisy and in need of replacement or lubrication.
jglawson80 is offline   Reply With Quote