Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha > Yamaha final drive

Yamaha final drive

This is a discussion on Yamaha final drive within the Yamaha forums, part of the Manufacturers category; My Girl Freind rdies a Yamaha XVS 650 with 15,500 miles on it. About two weeks ago the final drive ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012   #1

Default Yamaha final drive

My Girl Freind rdies a Yamaha XVS 650 with 15,500 miles on it. About two weeks ago the final drive leaked oil. What I found was that the pinion gear bearing failed. I believe this was a design flaw, (Hope Yammah sees this). Most differentials that use a pinon gear to drive a ring gear uses conical bearings to counter the force that the pinion gear produces outward as it turns the ring gear. The bearing they used was a ball bearing with a soft metal retainer/spacer that held the bearing together after assembly. This retainer was held together by what looked like rivets between each ball. These type of bearing are desiged to support forces up and down not to the side. So the pinion gear pushing out, puts a strain on this retainer/separator from the side and was trying to take the bearing apart. Eventually the retainer broke, part of it went through the gears (lucky soft metal) and part reached out and cut the seal. This allowed oil to leak out so we noticed a problem before the hard bearings released into the gear case. When I got a new OEM Yammah bearing, I found it was redesigned so they must be aware of the flaw. While this does not appear to be a saftey issue, a design flaw such as this should be recalled especially since the bike had less than 16K miles on it. I also found many others had this problem.
carbonbikerrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #2

Default Up Date: Letter to Yamaha

We wrote a letter to Yamaha and they replied after two months. The end result is that they admit they redesgned teh bearing and that all the 650 bikes for 2013 have the "new" bearing and that the dealers returned the old stock and resupplied with the new bearings. They still have not put out a recall notice, but I suggested they do that. He also said that the new bearing was used on the larger bikes for a while and have not failed.
carbonbikerrider is offline   Reply With Quote