Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Other motorcycle manufacturers > Is a Royal Enfield a reliable bike for beginners? ?

Is a Royal Enfield a reliable bike for beginners? ?

This is a discussion on Is a Royal Enfield a reliable bike for beginners? ? within the Other motorcycle manufacturers forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Hi, I'm an inexperienced motorcycle rider, and I'm looking into purchasing my first bike. I'm interested in a Royal Enfield, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008   #1

Default Is a Royal Enfield a reliable bike for beginners? ?

Hi, I'm an inexperienced motorcycle rider, and I'm looking into purchasing my first bike. I'm interested in a Royal Enfield, as they look great and have only a 500cc engine, which is a plus because I don't want to start with anything too powerful. However, a Triumph has also been suggested for me, though it has a 800+cc engine. Which of these two bikes is most reliable and better for a beginner?Cheers!
Lu 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #2

If you're in the USA, then you'll probably notice that Royal Enfields don't sell well at all. Some dealers have liquidated them at pennies on the dollar, as they sat in the showroom for years.I'd avoid it like the plague, unless you want to also become a mechanic at the same time...
ElGrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008   #3

They are very OLD SCHOOL,still using points i think. easy to work on but they may need lots of maintenance. If you cant wrench get a modern bike.
chopperchopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #4

I have heard them described as 1950s Brittish engineering combined with Indian quality control. They have lots of loyal fans, but I would never own one as my only bike. I have learned my lesson owning ironhead Sportsters. You never want to HAVE to wrench on a bike just to take it for a ride.Triumph is the only retro Brittish bike I would own. They may be a fairly large motorcycle, but they only have around 60 horsepower. That should be pretty easy for a new rider to manage, but it would never be a bike that felt underpowered (in a retro-standard sort of way).Besides, you are comparing a bike I would never own (Enfield) to a bike I have wanted since it came out (new Bonneville).Good luck!
The Freak Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #5

No. It is friendly for hands-on owners who like to do their own maintenance and repairs in any kind of weather day or night.Agree any Triumph is over the top for many beginners.Suggest Japanese dual sport in 400 cc class to learn more thanone ride surface area. ------
kavekarst is offline   Reply With Quote