Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"New" Indians ?

This is a discussion on "New" Indians ? within the Indian forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Ok, so they are going to try again to drag out the Indian Chief. BFD.Yeah, it looks good, So what.Is ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008   #1

Default "New" Indians ?

Ok, so they are going to try again to drag out the Indian Chief. BFD.Yeah, it looks good, So what.Is anyone ever going to bring back the inline-four Indians (or other makes) from our rich American motorcycling past? Or a halfway decent single? (not the Buell Blast, which should have been a 650)?I like V-twins as much as the next guy,don't get me wrong!But is every"new"American motorcylce (Victory, Confederate, re-deceased Excelsior) doomed to be a V-twin, just cuz Harley won the WW2 contract with one, 60 years ago? To me, if they don't want to compete with Harley for the market (and image) shouldn't they make a different type of bike? It just seems lazy and copycat-ish.BTW, I really like Buells, Victorys and Confederates. But if their is another new company using an old name, planning on launching another American v-twin, it's just a yawnfest to me. Especially when that brand had other interesting motor configurations.Excuse me Kato, blame the"public"?Which public is that? Surely not the (American) one that buys millions of non-v-twins from countless foriegn manufacturers.With the exception of the Buell Blast, those who want to buy American are not given a choice other than V-twin.It would be nice to have the option of buying a non-twin cruiser.Who says a cruiser has to be a twin? Especially one from an American company who once made inline fours! Right now, the Triumph Rocket is the closest thing to a modern, non-twin, inline Indian.Even BMW, known for its iconic"Boxer Twin,"makes several other motor types, and they sell fine. To the public.
Munkstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #2

Dont think it will fly. There aint no more room for V twin cruisers on this block. Titan went under and the other Harley clones are strugling to sell bikes. The new indian? YAWN!!!! who cares.
chopperchopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009   #3

I agree with you, the V-Twin fad has worn things pretty thin.There should be (and so, probably will not) be other offerings, as you suggest. I have no interest in a"new"Indian. Yet I like the old ones a lot.Since you mentioned the military contract, I bring this up before the bashers do: HD beat out Indian by submitting a motorcycle that was larger displacement than the contract specification, thereby having a more powerful engine. Indian played by the rules. ------
Firecracker is offline   Reply With Quote