Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Insurance > Is Motorcycle insurance the same price as car insurance or is it cheaper?

Is Motorcycle insurance the same price as car insurance or is it cheaper?

This is a discussion on Is Motorcycle insurance the same price as car insurance or is it cheaper? within the Motorcycle Insurance forums, part of the General category; I had a coupld of friends that have motorcycles and some that have cars. They don't pay for their own ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009   #1

Default Is Motorcycle insurance the same price as car insurance or is it cheaper?

I had a coupld of friends that have motorcycles and some that have cars. They don't pay for their own insurance but i wanted to know if by any chance if motorcycle insurance is cheaper then auto insurance. I know auto insurance these days are sky high. But since a motorcycle is a lot smaller, shouldn't insurance for it be cheaper for it?
Kaitlyn B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #2

it is a lot cheaper
karen2625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen2625 View Post
it is a lot cheaper
...or not.

Depends on what you are insuring and what kind of insurance (PL/PD only or PL/PD and comprehensive.

If you are 16 and want to insure a Suzuki Hyabusa with full coverage it's going to be a great GREAT deal more than a 16 year old with a beat up Toyota Corolla.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #4

it is cheaper .you got to shop. i got gicco
Ed M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #5

When I was shopping for motorcycle insurance I found the Lizard to be much more expensive than what I have now. GIECO makes a whole lotta noise about how much they gunna save you, but in the end it just didn't work out to go with GEICO.
Old 01-19-2009   #6

Depends on a lot, but many times its higher priced due to the higher risk of insuring a motorcycle. Think about it...would a motorcycle be totaled easier? You bet, which costs the insurance company more if you have it on "full coverage." Chances that a car will be totalled is much lower and therefore cheaper to insure in many cases.
FAITHBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009   #7

I carry (until it expires in January 2010) State Farm full coverage on my KZ1300a. When I bought it, last year, I didn't care about the cost (used to only carry PIP) until a forum line like this one. I looked at my policy payment due and it said $225.00 and then realized it was only for 6 months!!!!!! That's $450.00 annually!!! More than any of my cars, trucks or RV! I then called Progressive and the new (as of Jan 2010) will cost me $280.00 per year. A huge savings. The moral of this story is: shop, shop, shop. And when you're done - shop some more!
Olds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009   #8

Amen to that. I had been insured through GMAC insurance for years, I have a bunch of bikes, thus this year a mishap in my CAR caused the motorcycle rates to go astronomical at renewal time. I shopped around and found Geico to have the best rate on my "fleet" of 18 motorcycles. The rates were all over the map, so shop shop shop....
Old 10-05-2010   #9

Motorcycle insurance is CHEAPER than cars. I pay around $125 for a year....FULL COVERAGE, etc. through Progressive for my H-D. Check around and compare.
RolyRolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #10

Yeah, but as I said on another thread, it pays to shop around. Also, beware of insurance companies using your credit rating to set your price. I got a great insurance price for my KZ1300 but when I bought a V-Rod (no bank loan), my new bike almost doubled until I complained and demanded they explain the differences. Their explaination to me was that - get this/// "Harley Davidson's are MORE LIKELY to have accidents!"
I said "Really, based upon what survey?" They could not answer. But my adjusted estimate came down by half, now having been increased only 25% over the old 13. Go figure.............
Olds13 is offline   Reply With Quote