Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > CR > Honda CR250 - won't kick start&hard to push....?

Honda CR250 - won't kick start&hard to push....?

This is a discussion on Honda CR250 - won't kick start&hard to push....? within the CR forums, part of the Honda category; Long story short, a friend owed me a little money, so he gave me a Honda CR250 that he got ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008   #1

Default Honda CR250 - won't kick start&hard to push....?

Long story short, a friend owed me a little money, so he gave me a Honda CR250 that he got from someone that owed him money...Anyway, 2 problems I see with it..1. I can't kickstart it. The lever won't even budge.2. If I put it in gear&then pull in the clutch, it is VERY hard to push. It should be easy to push if the clutch is releasing, right?For the amount he owes me, I could part it out on eBay, but I'm curious about what's wrong with it&how much it would cost to get it to run again.Thanks in advance !
xyz1406a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #2

It sounds like the engine is almost seized, but it could be something else. It may just be that the clutch is not disengaging. It should be pretty easy to determine, a mech shouldn't take more than a half hour to figure out the problem.
Mahatma Coat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #3

Sounds like the engine is siezed up due to the fact that you can't kick it over.Try putting the bike in neutral and pushing it. Should push easy. Most bikes are harder to push while in gear and clutch pulled in than if it were in neutral.If bike rolls ok in neutral, AND the bike had been sitting out for awhile you might get away with putting some penetrating oil (PB Blaster, Marvel Mystery oil, ect...) down the spark plug hole and let it set for a few days. Engine might kick over then.Good luck.
fitzycocobella1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009   #4

To check for top end damage (seized piston&rings).Remove the left crankcase cover (don't worry, there's no oil inside).Remove the spark plug and try to turn the flywheel.It should move with ease.If it's hard to turn, Most likely the problem is between the crankshaft, cylinder, piston&rings.A quick check to see if the top end is damaged -Remove the exhaust pipe.Look in the exhaust port with a flash light and mirror.If you see any scoring of the piston&cylinder wall, the top end will need to be repaired.If the piston&cylinder look good, the the crankshaft is probably at fault.Parts -Cylinder $400Piston $75Rings $40Gaskets $50Crankshaft $260Crankshaft bearings $60You'll have to check with your local shop to check the labor costs. ------
guardrailjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009   #5

Default want to sale it.

i know i'm an ass, cause your tryin to fix it but if its newer than a 1996 im interested. I'll change the engine completely not 250cc. but im in sf bay area
jesse villa is offline   Reply With Quote