Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha > FZ6 > Can I bump-start my Yamaha FZ6?

Can I bump-start my Yamaha FZ6?

This is a discussion on Can I bump-start my Yamaha FZ6? within the FZ6 forums, part of the Yamaha category; Alternatively, do you know where the terminals are to connect cables for jumpstarting? do i need to remove or adjust ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008   #1

Default Can I bump-start my Yamaha FZ6?

Alternatively, do you know where the terminals are to connect cables for jumpstarting? do i need to remove or adjust anything in preparation? this is what it looks like http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...battery.jpgDid it. Total piss. 2nd gear, ignition on, 7mph, clutch and you're away. Cheers all
Luke Flegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008   #2

bro you can bumpstart any bike just put it in neutral and push or roll down a hill pull your clutch in put the bike in 2nd gear and release the clutch your bike should start if not try it again but try to get more speed before releasing your clutch
rideyamaha831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #3

Under the seat, do not attempt a jump with a car, with it running, just use the battery not the cars alternator.
mycoldfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #4

You have answered your own question. The pic is of the battery terminals using proper jump leads connect red + to Red + and black - to black-Having said that I would never ever jump start a modern bike, You could short the leads, cause a fire, injure yourself, cause the battery to explode, ruin a good battery or fry the bikes delicate electronics. The cost to fix would buy you many proper bike battery chargers!If you buy a charger it should be a proper bike one as most bikes charge at a slightly lower voltage than cars. Having said that I use a Gunson car charger set at"Auto"and"Permanent Float"this provides the correct rate. In any case they must be the electronic type that regulate themselves.Before charging it's best to remove the battery taking care not to short out the tools, you will not believe the heat a so called flat battery will generate in seconds. Also if its not a sealed for life type check the electrolyte is at the correct level.Unlike the very old bikes with magneto ignition it's not so easy to bump start a modern bike . If the battery is completely flat it will never start as the ignition needs a good current to fire the plugs and the fuel pump won't run.You can bump start a bike with a dodgy starter though, I have done it. They do fire up suddenly, I nearly dropped it!Sorry to go on but I have witnessed several horrible incidents by careless handling of vehicle batteries.Ride Safe.
Superplonk is offline   Reply With Quote