Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha > FZ6 > first motorcycle for a rookie rider?

first motorcycle for a rookie rider?

This is a discussion on first motorcycle for a rookie rider? within the FZ6 forums, part of the Yamaha category; I am in search of my first motorcycle after taking the MSF course. I am looking for a sport bike. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008   #1

Default first motorcycle for a rookie rider?

I am in search of my first motorcycle after taking the MSF course. I am looking for a sport bike. I am 6'and about 200lbs and have had friends suggest something in the 500-600cc range because of my size. Some have said look at kawaski ninja 500 or 650, suzuki sv650 or gs500e, honda cbr 600f4i, or yamaha fz6. What do you guys think?? Need a little help and suggestions!!
bh025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #2

I got a Ninja zx6 for my first bike, and I had never riden before...I love it. I would not reccommend getting a brand new one tho bc you ARE going to drop it. I dropped mine putting the kick stand down, I didn't realize the weight....go with something a little older, and I love my Ninja!
RoniT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #3

I certainly agree with RoniT21 about buying a used bike first!

If you passed the MSF class, just make sure both of your feet can rest flat on the ground and both hands reach the grips when you are sitting on the motorcycle.

Wider handlebars will probably feel more stable than a bike with narrower bars, especially in low speed turns.

An aggressive, leaning-forward position can be very comfortable at highway speed with the windblast to hold you up. In the city, the same position will get uncomfortable because you are supporting your weight on your hands.
Annie Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote