Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Parts > Exhaust > will it hurt your motorcycle engine to drive it without the muffler

will it hurt your motorcycle engine to drive it without the muffler

This is a discussion on will it hurt your motorcycle engine to drive it without the muffler within the Exhaust forums, part of the Parts category; i took off the muffler of my honda cbr 600 will it hurt to drive it this way...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008   #1

Default will it hurt your motorcycle engine to drive it without the muffler

i took off the muffler of my honda cbr 600 will it hurt to drive it this way
agalvan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #2

It will lean out the fuel / air mixture.A lean mixture will cause detonation. With the loud exhaust, you won't hear it. You risk burning a valve or pistonYou have also decreased horse power because you have not corrected the fuel / air mixture to compensate for the reduced back pressure.So it looks like all you have accomplished is to annoy your neighbors. However, you now have a very good cop caller.
Mad Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #3

I know someone who did that to a cbr 600. It doesnt hurt, but i wouldnt recomend it. Also, when you take it off the jetting shoudl be changed and thats a pain. its better just to get an after market one or leave the one you have on there.
the Mayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #4

A muffler puts backpressure on the engine. Driving without one will INCREASE your gas milage and DECREASE emmisions by helping the engine breathe better, same as a free-flowing aftermarket exhaust. Not by any significant amount though.Note that your fuel/air mixture is going to be all messed up without remapping, same as if you put a way different full exhaust system on. If you don't remap to the no-exhaust setup, the bike is going to run like crap in the mean time.
SarasotaRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #5

no but your gonna piss ppl off
Moto C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #6

its gonna run lean witch means HOT not a good thing also gonna loose bottem end torque.Its not a harley it aint gonna sound good like that. ------
chopperchopster is offline   Reply With Quote