Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Parts > Exhaust > will motorcycle muffler work on a car?

will motorcycle muffler work on a car?

This is a discussion on will motorcycle muffler work on a car? within the Exhaust forums, part of the Parts category; I had a friend tell me that they put an FMF Fatboy muffler on there volkswagen golf. I didn't think ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008   #1

Default will motorcycle muffler work on a car?

I had a friend tell me that they put an FMF Fatboy muffler on there volkswagen golf. I didn't think a motorcycle muffler would flow enough to add any performance to a car. Does anyone know what a motorcycle muffler would flow, and if that makes any sense? ThanksI didn't think that it would do very good considering how small displacement a motorcycle engine is compared to a car, and the difference in diameter of pipe.
directinject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #2

It won't add any hp, just make alot of noiise
duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008   #3

Sure, it makes perfect sense.In Crazytown.
Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008   #4

i dont think it would work plus it would be way to small and my uncle is a mechanical and i asked him
Cody L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008   #5

Your friends Volkswagon is probably a 2 liter 4 cylinder reving out at 6,000rpm. A large 4cyl bike is about 1/2 the size but can rev twice as high producing about the same exhaust output. I don't see why you couldn't find something to work.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #6

I'm not sure about this, but when I think about it, it seems that the muffler off of a bike would have entirely too much back pressure for a car. It might work if you took the baffles out though.You never know, some might work. Sorry, this wasn't a very good answer.
Stashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #7

California: totally illegal. Don't even try it.
emucompboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #8

FMF Fatboy? This for a Harley 80 inch or so-whatever, used to occasionally put leftover Harley mufflers on small cars to quite them down a bit. The motorcycle mufflers were low pressure restriction, the Triumph mufflers were little more than vent tube expansion chambers, stick them at end of MG Midget tail pipe and you had street legal muffler for getting around. VW Rabbit engines about same size as Harley's, Harley dresser muffler clamped on works. Old Ford van with a leftover BSA muffler passed road inspection, mid 80s Toyota with a pipe and chrome stinger at end worked for a winter work car. High performance wasn't the issue on these installations- cheap repair that worked enough to keep cops away was only concern. The chromed ends looked OK as a bonus on MG Midget.
curmudgeon1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #9

Small cars I have used fishtails on dune buggies-VW Rails ------
havenjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote