Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Repair > 1973 Honda CL450 Scrambler - triple tree stem

1973 Honda CL450 Scrambler - triple tree stem

This is a discussion on 1973 Honda CL450 Scrambler - triple tree stem within the Motorcycle Repair forums, part of the General category; Hello there! I am new to this forum but not TOTALLY new to motorcycle repair. This is my fourth motorcycle ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012   #1

Default 1973 Honda CL450 Scrambler - triple tree stem

Hello there!

I am new to this forum but not TOTALLY new to motorcycle repair. This is my fourth motorcycle and I am currently having an issue with the rebuild that I have never run into before.

I took apart the triple tree and stem to upgrade the bearings to tapered sealed bearings instead of the stock ball bearings. Upon cleaning the stem up and preparing it for the new tapered bearings, I found that the stem was crooked. This explains why when I took this bike out for a test drive that the front end felt sloppy. I figured it was just the old stock bearings, but the stem is definitely bent and has at some point been jarred hard enough to crush the hallow stem and bend it in this way.

The rest of the bike seems good. So, here is my question.

I'm looking for a triple tree upper and lower with the stem that I could buy from ebay from another model Honda that would be an exact swap or switch, but I don't know what that would be. I don't have the tools to press out the old stem and weld in a new one. I have already purchased the tapered bearings for my model bike.

Is there another triple tree set up from another japanese bike (Kawasaki, Suzuki, or Yamaha) that would be a direct swap/conversion for my 1973 Honda CL450 Scrambler?

Is the Honda CB triple tree the same as the CL? What years cross-over?
Any help, would be appreciated.

Quinn McLeod
QuinnMcLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #2

Do you still need an answer?
recycledcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledcycles View Post
Do you still need an answer?
I was actually able to get it to work out after buying a used bottom triple clamp off ebay from a CB450. My local motorcycle supply store said it would be a direct swap, but as per usual, they don't know what they're talking about and I found that the bottom clamp was 1/4" shorter and wouldn't allow for my tubes to attach to the upper fork.

So I cut the weld at the bottom and pressed out the step on the bottom clamp, then pressed and welded the stem into my original CL450 bottom clamp and the whole unit works really great together without a problem. Even the brand new tapered bearings fit the step perfectly and now the front end is back together.
QuinnMcLeod is offline   Reply With Quote