Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Safety > Anti Collision Strobes for under 30 bucks!!!

Anti Collision Strobes for under 30 bucks!!!

This is a discussion on Anti Collision Strobes for under 30 bucks!!! within the Motorcycle Safety forums, part of the General category; My home-made anti collision unit! The front of our bike will look like a UFO whenever you blow your horn! ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2007   #1

Default Anti Collision Strobes for under 30 bucks!!!

My home-made anti collision unit! The front of our bike will look like a UFO whenever you blow your horn! Provides visible coverae of front of bike and side intersections!

Great for parking lot pullouts, hidden driveways, etc.

This project requires a great deal of labor... But the finished result is a nice clean unique look. And WAYYYYY safer on the road!

Here we go... it's a long one!

======

OK guys and gals... I am a self proclaimed cheap skate!

I don't have any pics now, but I want to get this out there to help others.

I like to ride in the cold and most autos have their windows up and music cranked. My pee size horn just will not cut it. So I wanted something visual as well.

My goal was to have something visible to the front and sides of the bike.

Autozone sells a Quadro Strobe pack made by pilotautomotive for 25.00. It's four LED strobes (whitish blue tint to them) with a control box that allows you to alter the pattern or the speed.

The wires are VERY long and will span the length of your bike... PLUS they come with quick disconnects.

If you want to see LEDs and how to disassemble units... Go to youtube and search for "Installing Strobes". (Sry, this forum will not allow me to post links)

SO... Here is how I installed mine... Took about 6 hours, but well worth it!

Things you will need:
1) Black elec tape.
2) Wire ties.
3) Sharp drill bits... All the way up to 3/8".
4) Good varliable speed drill... Pref one with the numbers so it will break the clutch of the drill at X pounds. Set it at 1-4 on the dial for this.
5) A piece of scrap wire (about 3 foot) or some tough string.
6) Super glue.

Things to prep the bike:
1) Remove both front turn signal lenses.
2) Remove front headlight assembly.
3) Remove gas tank.

Prep the strobes:
1) Remove the outer clear shell... it's threaded and untwists.
2) Remove the rear sticker from the LED.
3) Cut away black base... careful not to nick the wire.
4) When done... You will be left with a nice looking chrome LED holder.
5) Repeat for each LED.

Prep the turn signal units:
1) You must remove L and R turn signals so you can run wire through the tubes.
2) DONT forget to tie string onto wires before you pull them out of the tube.

Prep the turn signal lenses:
1) Mark the center of each lense.
2) Mark the side of the lense on the curve... So your mounted LED will be pointing about 45' to the side of front. Kinda at an angle like an intersection sweeper module on a cruiser.
3) Start with a VERY small drill bit!!! SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE HERE!! Too much pressure and you will crack it!
4) Go VERY SLOW... As soon as drill binds... Kick it in reverse and keep going. This will help stop lense from cracking.
5) Repeat drilling all the way until you hit 3/8" size.

Mount the LEDs in your lenses:
1) Clean your holes out and remove plastic bur.
2) Pace a nice bead of super glue around the BOTTOM edge of the LED holder near the wires...
3) As you insert the LED, slowly twist one full revolution so glue goes all the way around.
4) Repeat for each hole.

Feed your wires:
1) Now that your done... Feed the wires through the tube and into the headlight assembly.
2) Once done... Pull them all together and loom black electrical tape over your excess. Nice and pretty now! :)
3) Now feed through back of headlight and into wiring harness of bike... My destination was my storage box.
4) Control box must be someplace DRY!
5) Once you have location for control box... Run power leads up to your horn.

Now that your job is complete... There is one final step!

Preping wires inside turn signals:
1) Sneak into the kitchen without your wife seeing you and steel a big sheet of alum foil!
2) Tear off pieces and wrap them around the black wires going to the strobes... When reassembling the turn signal unit... Use the foil to help mold the wires away from be bulb.
3) plus... The foil helps sheild them from the heat of the parking light bulb heat.

Put bike back together.... Enjoy your new found love for blowing the horn! :)

I put mine on 3 flash all four units, fast rate. That way I have light in all directions flashing whenever I blow that horn!

The nuckle busting factor on this project is minimal... So go spend 25 bucks and spend an evening away from the old lady nag'n you and be safer on the road! :)

EnjoY!

==Zoww

BTW... Since I am too lazy... if someone could post pics of their install... That would be great!
mommynow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #2

Sounds cools. I would do this to my bike, but I don't think it will work on a 6 volt system!
thomasj22003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007   #3

Sounds cools. I would do this to my bike, but I don't think it will work on a 6 volt system!

Yeap... All that junk I posted and I forgot to include voltage! hahaah :(

Since they are LED's... I know the current draw is next to nothing.

With that in mind... You may wish to try using a step up transformer.

Go to google and search for "6v to 12v" (quotes and all).

Good luck!

==Zow
mommynow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #4

oh yes! subscribing, hoping to see some pics of this. My imagination is not the greatest :)
jeremywearsvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #5

The 3 different cage riders who almost ran me over in the past 6 months were probably stone drunk.Flashing stobes might only give them something to stare into as they run me over.
BETTYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #6

Not only that I mean it sound like a great idea, but you need to look into your states laws regarding lighting. Here in Washington it's illegal to have any flashing white lights mounted to the front unless its a law enforcement vehicle.
discoballfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #7

Not only that I mean it sound like a great idea, but you need to look into your states laws regarding lighting. Here in Washington it's illegal to have any flashing white lights mounted to the front unless its a law enforcement vehicle.

Not exactly true....in all 50 states headlight modulators are legal....these devices pulse your headlight.....therefore you CAN have a flashing white light....but only under certain conditions.
alan20s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #8

and if you get pulled over, what cop is really going to write you a ticket for trying to not get run over (i don't know the legality but now that you mention it i vaguely remember that about the emergency vehicles)
Ben D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #9

and if you get pulled over, what cop is really going to write you a ticket for trying to not get run over (i don't know the legality but now that you mention it i vaguely remember that about the emergency vehicles)

If you read the forums you will hear about plenty of incidents of cops pulling bikes over with headlight modulators.....been there myself and I work in law enforcement. The DOT officer argued alongside the road with me for 20 mins and I had a print out of the code section......but he was adamant only HE could have flashing white lights.

Finally he verified my print out with his all knowing books in the trunk of his car.....then he got right in his car and drove off without saying a word.

Thats not the only instance for me.

It happens......alot.
KaBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #10

well that sucks. so what about obscene amounts of neons? i swear occifer, they're for visibility.:D

or rather, you could pull some technical mumbo-jumbo about since bikes electrical systems are smaller, the lower RPM ranges tend to slow the alternator's work, creating blah-blah for blah-blah and making the headlight flash. it's all very scientifical.

(if you hadn't noticed, i feel that once i am pulled over i have nowhere to go but up, so I might as well have some fun.)
Angel L is offline   Reply With Quote