Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Safety > Brake lights - "third" light?

Brake lights - "third" light?

This is a discussion on Brake lights - "third" light? within the Motorcycle Safety forums, part of the General category; When it comes to being seen or adequately expressing my intentions while riding, I'm a bit paranoid that cars or ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007   #1

Default Brake lights - "third" light?

When it comes to being seen or adequately expressing my intentions while riding, I'm a bit paranoid that cars or other travellers around me won't get it the first time. Whether it be slowing down, turning (some ppl ignore turn signals regardless) or stopping.

So, I want to ask if anyone or has anyone added more brake lights to enhance their act of stopping? I guess what I'm looking for are "auxiliary" brake lights (or "third" brake lights)

As it is on most if not all sport bikes, there's only 1 set of brake lights. On my SV650, there are 2 LED strips that serve as a brake light, that's it. So, I can understand if some drivers might just think the rear lights are "bright" and not figure that I'm slowing down or coming to a stop (hence the purpose of brake light modulators, I know). However, i hoping to add more lights to make the stoplights more obvious. I guess like they do on those big touring bikes. Then maybe later on I'll think about modulating the "auxiliary" lights and leave my main/stock brake light steady or maybe modulate the entire stop light system.

So, does anyone have ideas on how to enhance the intention of stopping?
Grabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #2

Absolutely - I've been using a 'Third Eye' Brake Light of some form or another on bikes now for at least 25 years. This includes on Metrics AND Domestics - so called 'cool' and/or looks be damned! The fact is it works - I can actually see the Cage Morons backing off! Why does it work? Because it's unusual - few and far bikes have this in place, so quite frankly basterds in cars don’t know what it is – caution kicks in – they back off (aka Law of the Jungle!). IF every bike on the road had this, forget it – like Mandatory Headlights On, Cagers know what it is so refuse to acknowledge it. I counter that by also running triple Driving Lights on during the daytime. It’s NOT an invincible shield of Armour but it too helps. Anything you can do to avoid becoming yet another statistic (as I was…) GO for it! Nuff’ said.

LRG
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #3

I've added an additional set of running and brake lights to my bike. I got a set of Kuryakyn dual circuit LED silver bullets. I got the dual circuits so that behave as running lights as well as and additional brake light from the same set of lights. I originally planned on mounting the lights to the rear most fender strut, but couldn't find a hollow bolt long enough. Since my bike is set up for solo, I used the passenger foot peg mounts for the lights. In this location I think it is possible for the turn signals to block the view of these lights, so this winter I'm going to get a license plate mount and relocate these lights to there. I just need some down time away from work, and riding as I also want to combine the wiring I've done with my side mount running lights built into the reflectors into the run/brake lights.

Another option for you is the possibility of the the run-turn-brake controllers out there. Not sure if they make one for a SV650, but these turn you turn signals into running lights and additional brake lights. To do this, in most states you will need to change your turnsignal lenses to red as rear mounted lights can't be yellow.
greenvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #4

My thoughts were similar...

I came up with the idea to buy an LED pod,
like this one (http://www.plasmaled.com/ledpods.htm), and hook it up to the brake light wires so they both will go on at the same time...
I was thinking one of the wise-angle pods.

Then tuck it under the back end of the bike above the tire
and shine it down so that it illuminates the wheel, shocks, chain kind of area. At night the whole back end would light up.
Technically where I live this is an illegal mod, however,
it would look like there was a "light leak" from the brake light if it was set up right and probably not draw too much attention. I don't think it would help in the daytime as much as it would at night.

just my harebrained plan. :)
Bentley Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #5

Absolutely - I've been using a 'Third Eye' Brake Light of some form or another on bikes now for at least 25 years.
curious, what kind of lights do you use?

... turn your turn signals into running lights and additional brake lights. To do this, in most states you will need to change your turnsignal lenses to red as rear mounted lights can't be yellow.
Yeah, I've thought about doing this, but then I'm quite partial to yellow/amber blinkers, as I think they are much more obvious than blinking red lights. On cars, if the rear turn signals are red, that can actually turn me completely off about the car.

My thoughts were similar...
I came up with the idea to buy an LED pod,
like this one (http://www.plasmaled.com/ledpods.htm), and hook it up to the brake light wires so they both will go on at the same time...
I was thinking one of the wise-angle pods.
this might look good. I was actually looking at riders that did the Fender Eliminator kit and replaced their rear turn signals with undertail lights. But those things run about $200!!! No way for my wallet. For $25, these seem like a viable option... now to only think of a way to make it not seem so "non-stock", if you know what I mean.

Thanks all! great info.
Old 01-11-2007   #6
Ted

My buddy put red LED's all over the back of his KLR and just wired them into the brake wire. It looks like Christmas when he hits his brakes
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #7

My buddy put red LED's all over the back of his KLR and just wired them into the brake wire. It looks like Christmas when he hits his brakes

beautiful!!! that's a tad over for me. I actually found these from another thread on the site...
Rivco SOMA LED light strips (http://www.rivcoproducts.com/product...398&page=1)

it's shorter than I'd like - 3inches. I'd rather have 5inches (please don't go there ). But I must say the SOMA acronym is great!!!

I visited the local CycleGear and found these lights:
StreetFX ElectroPods (http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...G&tier2=81)
MoTrax Flushmounts (http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...G&tier2=14)

I was thinking I could use those flushmounts and drill some holes in the tails and then put these in. However, the LED's would be pointed downward at an angle... not sure if the LED's would be effective enough at this angle.

If I cannot find a better solution, I may just go with the RivCo lights.
Old 01-14-2007   #8

Well, for Full Dressers it was easy - any surface mount lights that would fit on the Scoot Boot would work. What I learned initially though is NOT to overload the front and/or rear Brake Light Switches with too much wattage. They're very wimpy (pick a brand - any brand) that will maybe handle 1x additional brake light, but that's it! Even a dang car will only handle the load of 2x more (for a Trailer) but that's it! For Cruisers I just pretty much copied placement of the older Suzuki Madura 1200, a very odd-ball (I dunno, I liked it...:D) Cruiser from the later 80's - they had integrated the rear Brake Light atop the Sissy Bar. Right now I just use those old school Chrome Bullet Lights (w/dual filament 25/35 watt bulbs) to serve as a 3rd Brake Light. Again looks odd but it works. For Sport Bikes though would be a bit harder - now JC Whitney had this small Automotive third eye that looks like a Wing from the old Plymouths and Chaparrals (if folks remember those?). I think that looked good but they just kept falling apart (plastic) on the V-Twin thunder wagons! :o Maybe on a smoother Multi they would hold up?

LRG

curious, what kind of lights do you use?...
inktownlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #9

I've got an additional brake light that has 48 LED's and is flexible and self stick. Got it here http://www.radiantz.com/ . Just attached it to the bottom of the fender and ran the wires up under the fender to the brake light. No holes, no fuss!
WantAHouse is offline   Reply With Quote