Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > Motorcycle Safety > highway cruising is the place to be!

highway cruising is the place to be!

This is a discussion on highway cruising is the place to be! within the Motorcycle Safety forums, part of the General category; I ride my bike to work as much as I can (sometimes I have to drive the company truck to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006   #1

Default highway cruising is the place to be!

I ride my bike to work as much as I can (sometimes I have to drive the company truck to haul materials). 95% of the trip is hwy, and 85 miles at 70 miles an hour is a nice ride. I have never had any problems on the commute to work. The 2 times I was almost ran over was on a weekend in the city, both times less than 5 miles from my house at under 35 miles per hour. Riding on the hwy is the best!
NaBiLaH a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #2

the problem with highway cruising is you miss all of the little things, on my trip next spring/summer I am leaving on the highway until I get out of weekend riding range, then it is off the interstate and onto the smaller roads. I want to see small town America, I want to see the towns across the US that time has forgotten about, I want to experience all the things we (those of us in larger cities) are missing these days, the greasy spoon diner that you can still get a hamburger, fries and a coke for under $2.00 (and the fries come on a plate all to themselves, and fill it up) the small town hall, the friendly people that wave at you just because that is how they are in that town, the benched sitting in the park (that is clean and has children playing in it) you miss all that when running 75-80 mph on the highway.
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #3

you are right about seeing all of the little things along the way. What I like doing on the week-ends(mostly when the wife is along for the ride) is take a hwy route and stop in a few of the small towns along the way. I park the bike on main street and we grab a bite to eat and visit the shops ,then get right back on the hwy.
NaBiLaH a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #4

You also miss all those twisties :)
chrisnoscrub047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #5

I'm curious, it may be just a regionalism, like some areas of the country call non-alcoholic carbonated beverages, soda, and others pop, but with my friends, generally a highway is not synonymous with freeway. This could be from that other than Interstate 5 and Interstate 84, there are no long stretchs of multi-lane in the same direction roads out here.

I agree with not liking to ride on city streets, all but one of my uncomfortable riding and driving moments have been within cities. I don't like freeways, as generally they are just straight line riding with tons of traffic the majority seeming to be on cell phones. I can really enjoy a nice quiet two lane state highway, specially if it is, like Goliath mentioned, to get to the rural roads and towns.
Vineet R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #6

yeah Harvey, I guess I could have been a little clearer on that, when I say Highway, I am talking about the interstate, 3 or 4 lanes each way, 50 cars every 10 feet (it seems) all trying to run over the bikes, the smaller "highways" (the older 2 lane variety) are great (for the most part). Here in KC the old "main" highway was US 40, but once they finished I-70, 40 highway became just another 2 lane road (that runs through many different towns)
aviral s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #7

It depends on why I am riding. If I am trying to get somewhere, I'll take the interstate. If the ride is what I am after, which is usually the case, I will take the old road that twists and turns it's way along the riverbed. I enjoy 55 with a lot of twists and turns more than 75 and laser straight.
plcweaver1 is offline   Reply With Quote