Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > General > New Riders > completely new rider in need of assistance for first time bike purchase.

completely new rider in need of assistance for first time bike purchase.

This is a discussion on completely new rider in need of assistance for first time bike purchase. within the New Riders forums, part of the General category; I currently have my motorcycle license. I went about it by getting a scooter,practicing and passing the test on it. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2010   #1

Default completely new rider in need of assistance for first time bike purchase.

I currently have my motorcycle license. I went about it by getting a scooter,practicing and passing the test on it. Now I have taken the MSF course before i rode anything and failed it but I at least got on one. I now plan to take individual riding lessons to learn how to ride a motorcycle properly

My question is,once I have learned how to ride. I would like for my first bike to be a 250cc beginner bike. I was looking at the v-star cruiser or 250 ninja. My main concern is that i live in ny and work downtown. my main way of getting there would be through freeway namely the major deegan and the hudson since i live outside the city

I keep hearing about how 250cc cruisers struggle on freeway while the basic ninja 250 can easily handle it. flipside is even low powered semi sport bike like the ninja 250 is not recommended to beginners.

So can anyone assist me with this?
chaossentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010   #2

250cc motorcycle such as the Ninja is like a racer style scooter in my mind. If you only ride in dense city traffic, this is powerfull enough, but the racer position makes no sense for city driving. The forward position is meant for comfort on high speed, but it is exhausting if you have to drive a lot trough traffic jams because keeping the balance is much tougher on a sports bike at low speed. Such beast are highway machines.

If you need to get to highway speed safely, a 250cc bike may be enough if you are a rather thin person, with no hills or winds against you (I'm sarcastic). For freeway driving a more upright position, a small windshield to prevent fatigue at high speed and twice more power (400-600cc) would make far more sense for a beginner, or even an experienced driver who wants to keep easy control with a light machine in dense traffic.

The hole idea is to prevent driver fatigue and to make sure you have enough reserve power to get out of critical situations safely. If you want to suffer, get a 600cc sports bike for the style. If you want to put all chances on your side, a touring bike or a sport touring bike will be a better choice, considering your concerns as a beginner and the type of driving you are likely to deal with.

Good luck, and keep a provision in your budget for a light and well ventilated helmet and protective clothing.
Old 10-09-2010   #3

i won't be riding in city traffic. I would just be on freeways and interstate highway. I also am a big guy,not height wise but weight wise.
Old 10-09-2010   #4

Default Beginner's bike for freeway driving

If you are essentially driving on freeways, any bike configuration (sports or standard) will do, but 250cc is far from sufficient. If you can't follow traffic or pass quickly no matter the wind or hills that are in you way, you are exposed to great danger. A 600cc sports bike might be just what you will like most.
Old 10-10-2010   #5

isn't 600CC a bit too much for someone who has never really ridden before and only got experience from lessons from a school?
Old 10-10-2010   #6

Not enough power is more dangerous than too much power in your case. If you stay within legal speed limits, you are actually much safer with a 600cc, but I would not recommend you start with a heavier and more powerfull bike (tougher to control),
Old 10-10-2010   #7

so 250CC are enough to get on highway and freeway but only for people who are extremely thin???

the average speed on the roads i take is generally between 60-70
Old 10-10-2010   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaossentry View Post
so 250CC are enough to get on highway and freeway but only for people who are extremely thin???
the average speed on the roads i take is generally between 60-70
Yes, it might be enough for a very thin and rather short teenager (japanese size) but definitely not enough for the typical north americans.

Let's face it. If you need to go up to 70 mph, a 250cc bike is simply not sufficient. It may match the budget and style preference you have, but it is no match for basic highway safety.
Old 10-10-2010   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamimartin View Post
Yes, it might be enough for a very thin and rather short teenager (japanese size) but definitely not enough for the typical north americans.

Let's face it. If you need to go up to 70 mph, a 250cc bike is simply not sufficient. It may match the budget and style preference you have, but it is no match for basic highway safety.
but doesn't a 250cc ninja hit 100 easily?
Old 10-10-2010   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaossentry View Post
but doesn't a 250cc ninja hit 100 easily?
I don't think a 250cc engine can last for very long if you are driving it like this, especially on long distances. At such speeds, you are much better to have a heavier bike with wider tires and a better suspension or you will be blown off the road at the worst possible moment. Just think of the driver as being a top heavy weight over a very light bike... bad idea. The heavier and taller the driver, the bigger the bike must be to remain stable.

I have not personnaly tried the bike, so it is probably unfair to the deluge of positive opinions I read about this bike. Ninja 250R remains a carburator bike with a redline over 10,000 RPM. There are no major flaws known on that bike. The only reason the engine can withstand such beating is the fact it is liquid cooled. If it was fuel injected, I would be less skeptical for power. If you get one, make sure to make very frequent oil changes !

Your current choice is a decent entry level, but it is not the best choice for highway driving, by any means.

Last edited by lamimartin; 10-10-2010 at 01:24 AM. Reason: More precise information
lamimartin is offline   Reply With Quote