Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Dual Purpose > A good touring dual sport

A good touring dual sport

This is a discussion on A good touring dual sport within the Dual Purpose forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; I am interested in doing some semi-long distance touring with my wife on the pillion, but my bike won't cut ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2006   #1

Default A good touring dual sport

I am interested in doing some semi-long distance touring with my wife on the pillion, but my bike won't cut it. I have looked around and I don't like the look of the big touring machines at all, but I really like the look of some of the dual sports, particularly the Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom and the BMW F800 GS. I guess I would rather have the trimmer look and feel than the creature comforts of the Goldwing class bikes. Of course, it has to have a comfortable stock seat )or have a good aftermarket seat available), but the rest of the comforts I can live without. My riding will be primarily on asphalt, with occasional jaunts off-road if we see something interesting. Definitely not anything too rough - probably fire roads at most. I would like something that would be fun in curves, but I tend to drive fairly conservatively so I don't need anything too rambunctious. Would the DL1000 or F800 GS fit the bill? I would also be interested in other suggestions.
Terrence B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #2

Check out the Kawasaki KLR650.
Kathryn R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #3

The KLR650 is a nice bike, but from what I have read it isn't very good at riding 2-up.
Old 04-15-2006   #4

Check out the Kawasaki KLR650.

Best Bike for the Money. But riding with a pillion, I would want a bigger bike too. having said that, if you want something bigger and better than you are looking at a 1000V-Strom, 800GS, 1200GS BMW or a KTM 950 or 990 adventure.

I don't know about the 800GS or V-Strom but I would not take my 1200GS were I have seen guys go on a KLR650. I think that the best big dualsport bike for off-road is the KTM.

I guess it depends on what level dualsport you are into.
cjunmeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #5

I guess it depends on what level dualsport you are into.
Well, here is the dilemma: I like the idea of having my feet under me instead of in front of me (I feel like I have more control that way), so the cruisers are out. I don't want to lay down on the bike, so the sport bikes are out. I want my wife on the back and to be somewhat comfortable on a long trip, so the SV650's of the world are out. It seems like the dual sport is the bike that fits all of my requirements, but my intent is not to use the bike off-road a lot. Suppose I am on a 2500 mile trip on asphalt. If I see some interesting scenery, I want to go into it and look around and I would like the bike to be able to get me there. I am not a hardcore adventure guy so the bike will probably never have to make water crossings, climb steep inclines or pick its way through boulders and downed trees. That stuff is pretty cool, but it just isn't me.
Old 04-15-2006   #6

Well, here is the dilemma: I like the idea of having my feet under me instead of in front of me (I feel like I have more control that way), so the cruisers are out. I don't want to lay down on the bike, so the sport bikes are out. I want my wife on the back and to be somewhat comfortable on a long trip, so the SV650's of the world are out. It seems like the dual sport is the bike that fits all of my requirements, but my intent is not to use the bike off-road a lot. Suppose I am on a 2500 mile trip on asphalt. If I see some interesting scenery, I want to go into it and look around and I would like the bike to be able to get me there. I am not a hardcore adventure guy so the bike will probably never have to make water crossings, climb steep inclines or pick its way through boulders and downed trees. That stuff is pretty cool, but it just isn't me.

Sounds like the 1000 V-strom might be the best bang for your money. But, the best thing is to test ride them all and see what you like in your price range. And have you wife sit on the bikes and go for a ride too.
xxcrazymonkey062695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #7

Thanks North, it looks like that will be my best bet. I am thinking new rather than used. You never know what kind of abuse a dual sport took from the previous owner. There aren't many listed around here anyway. I don't see many out, so I am not surprised.
Old 04-16-2006   #8

Pulling from a new thread here....check out the new Triumph 900 Scrambler. For the kind of riding you're talking about, I'd say this bike fits the bill perfectly. It's not a dual-sport, per se but back in the day, before production dirt bikes were common, stripped-down scramblers were what we ran.
JTIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #9

I hadn't seen the Scrambler, but I looked it up after you suggested it. It's a nice looking bike and, from the little bit I read, it sounds like it fits the bill for what I want. The only problem is the exhaust runs right under the passenger's leg. I didn't notice, but my wife mentioned it about 20 seconds after I showed her the picture. I guess what you notice first depend on where you are sitting. Does anybody have any experience with this bike that can shed some light on how well the heat shield works?
Old 04-18-2006   #10

A great friend of mine has the 990 KTM Adventurer Dakar.
He rides it EVERYWHERE! With his wife attached!
He has been riding for over 45 years and has owned several models along the way.
He was looking for a Great Street Bike for the twisty's and an occasional trip Off-Road.
Best wishes on a Bike that Fits You.
recalltotal001 is offline   Reply With Quote