Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Sportbikes > How far have you rode?

How far have you rode?

This is a discussion on How far have you rode? within the Sportbikes forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; Some buddies of mine and I are lookin to ride from basically Buffalo NY to VA beach this summer, we ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006   #1

Default How far have you rode?

Some buddies of mine and I are lookin to ride from basically Buffalo NY to VA beach this summer, we think its reasonable to do this trip in one day but really aren't sure...every sunday we get on our bikes and just ride from 11:00 am to 7-8:00 pm will several stops in between but no clear cut destination in mind. So I'm curious how far has everyone traveled in one day on your sportbike?
ExNextel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006   #2

Will you call a Big Bandit a sport bike? :D I did the Iron Butt 1000 miles in 24 hours last October...butt you're not going to be having a fun day the beach the next day!

Oh let's see. Google says that's 650 +/- miles. You can do it in a day ; a 500 mile day is a lot more comfortable - but you're just adding 150 - that's just over a couple of hours.

How many miles are y'all covering in those 8 or 9 hours? With gas stops, eats and traffic you're looking at 12 hours I'd guess. Checked my miles from home to Denver, CO (done it many times; light traffic) and it is almost always 12 hours.

How's the traffic going to be from one point to the other? Just do me a favor? Make the decision based upon what you all can do safely...not the damn clock. You'd be amazed what a 2 hour power snooze can do for you! And some damn lemon head candies! Really, try some! Enjoy the trip!
BigOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #3

did 700 miles in 48hrs this Oct 07. wears you out. that was on cruisers, NOT SPORTBIKES - Yikes, wouldn't want to be your arse. The ride from Buffalo to VA Beach is better if you pickup Blue Ridge mountians in Front Royal all the way to 64, then ride 250 E thru Richmond and backdoor VA Beach through Chesapeake on 460. Better ride, less traffic
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #4

To answer gumby first...we usually covered like 250 to 350 miles dependin on the sunday and how many smokers tagged along to slow us down...but none of us really got all that sore from it and that why we think we could double that maybe takin 2 days if needed. we def take our time and don't like to push the fatigue factor.

and for DWYSYWD thanks for the tip I'm goin to look into that route. Have you made a similiar trip before?
Old 01-27-2006   #5

did 700 miles in 48hrs this Oct 07. wears you out. that was on cruisers, NOT SPORTBIKES - Yikes, wouldn't want to be your arse. The ride from Buffalo to VA Beach is better if you pickup Blue Ridge mountians in Front Royal all the way to 64, then ride 250 E thru Richmond and backdoor VA Beach through Chesapeake on 460. Better ride, less traffic

I agree, I live right outside DC in Va and traffic can be TERRIBLE if you are on a main interstate during the wrong time. Plus the 80+degree 80%humidity and traffic sucks
Enter my five hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #6

Breaking it into two days will be more enjoyable IMHO; but yeah, you could dog it out in one day.
gibblestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #7

Also, incase you have never drove in VA.... LEO's are nasty.
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #8

Well that sucks, but is good to know..thanks for the heads up...We trailered our bikes to Myrtle Beach last year and they were pretty bad out there too so I'm sure they can't be much worse
Old 01-29-2006   #9

Last time I went to Myrtle Beach I didn't have LEO problems. Just gotta keep it under 80 most of the time in VA (interstate limit is 65max) With radar detectors being illigal and all... :(

Myrtle Beach LEO's just try to keep it all as calm as possible it seems. Though the saying is. Ya haven't been to Myrtle Beach unless you have been in a holding cell there :)

Good Luck with your trip.
speeddevil110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #10

started our bike trip yesterday (3 of us, my 2000 R1, my buddies 02 R1 and another buddy on a newer sportster) and we clicked in nearly 500 miles yesterday, its another 450 to get home. We are in pismo beach right now.
Cristobal is offline   Reply With Quote