Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Sportbikes > Organizing Legal Street Races

Organizing Legal Street Races

This is a discussion on Organizing Legal Street Races within the Sportbikes forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; This goes out to all my fellow knee draggers! I joined this forum with the sole intention of finding the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007   #1

Default Organizing Legal Street Races

This goes out to all my fellow knee draggers!

I joined this forum with the sole intention of finding the means to organize legal street racing events within the Greater Austin Metro area.

No, I am not a professional events planner, which is the reason for this post. If there's anyone out there who has experience in planning outdoor sport events, and wouldn't mind relating ANY pertinent info on the subject, like how to start, who to contact, etc, etc, then PLEASE DO. Specific inquires can be sent to my personal email, kendall_creative@mac.com

If you're reading this post you're probably interested in either participating in the actual event or at least want to attend such events. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter. For example, perhaps you have concerns regarding the actual feasibility of such an event, or maybe you want to put your five cents toward reasons why Austin needs a yearly street race. Whatever your opinion, I'd like to hear from you, even if you don't live in the Central Texas area.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input.

SCOTTkendall
Mistress Coleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #2

I'm assuming your talking like the Isle of Man races...where all the streets are blocked off and specatators line the roads while bikes haul @ss by knee on the ground 2" from phone poles and curbing at a buck-twenty???

Oh yeah....I wish you luck!! Always wondered why the US never had anything like that....

B.
slayersan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #3

Originally posted by B. Myers

Oh yeah....I wish you luck!! Always wondered why the US never had anything like that....

B.

Simple. Insurance reasons.

Plus I seriously doubt the city would even allow it anyways for legal reasons. 30-40 yrs ago maybe, but not now.
enochiansorcerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007   #4

YZFRob said:
Simple. Insurance reasons.

Plus I seriously doubt the city would even allow it anyways for legal reasons. 30-40 yrs ago maybe, but not now.

+1 Isnt there usually at least one fatality every year at the isle of man races?
knuckledragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #5

B. Myers said:
I'm assuming your talking like the Isle of Man races

Always wondered why the US never had anything like that....
truthfully the locals dislike the race. people have tried to have it shut down numerous times, its just been around for over 100 years now, so its like an old habit.
beverlydogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #6

i like your idea scott, but honestly i dont see it being feasable. austin (like many other places) has a serious problem with street racing however does nothing to fix it. they just like to bitch. we had a track in the makings (centex dragway) however due to lack of funding that never took off. the city of austin could have easily helped out, as they waste money on plenty of other things, but they havent and now they have a street racing problem that they like to bitch about. aside from major highways i dont really know of any race-worthy streets in austin.

assuming for the sake of conversation the city did agree to this. the only good place would be one of the highways. mopac is probably in the best condition with the least useage and fewest exits to close. but we all know they're not going to close mopac period. 1431 between cedar park and round rock would be a good road for this, however people would bitch about having to drive and on top of that there is no parking. which brings me to another concern. which hours to run this event. daytime is essentially ruled out.. as austin has enough traffic congestion as it is. the only time that it could realistically be done is sometime in the middle of the night like the Midnight Drags at SAR. if you've ever been to the SAR midnight's then you'll know that the turnout at 2am is about 1/8th of the volume that they get on an average friday night. so planning this event in the middle of the night (only realistic time in my opinion), you can plan on having a much smaller crowd than you would have planning it during the day (which isnt possible). kinda a pain in the ass situation. optimistic idea though.

now for my efforts of solving something instead of just bitching about it, try contacting the GP organizers as they have a few major city closures for their race stops. obviously this wouldnt be nearly as big of an event, however they should be able to tell you what the city expects inorder to close an entire road(s) down.
STEVE0 THE CLOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #7

Sounds fun, but once the city lets us use the streets you know the ricers will demand their own time, and I'm not one who accommodates ricers.
:shake
trey b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #8

gumpish said:
Sounds fun, but once the city lets us use the streets you know the ricers will demand their own time, and I'm not one who accommodates ricers.
:shake if you want the event to take place you'd simply have to deal with everybody playing too. we dont have enough people on 'our side' to be picky. cars, trucks, bikes, gokarts, trains, busses, sheep, pigs, ducks, and geese. it'd have to be an all-including deal inorder to even be a consideration.
kuyaERiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #9

I can picture people lowsiding and slamming into the rock on 2222. :crackup
stpeter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #10

cesj said:
I can picture people lowsiding and slamming into the rock on 2222. :crackup which is why it'd have to be a road devoid of turns, unfortunately.
vee444 is offline   Reply With Quote