Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Riding on the track?

This is a discussion on Riding on the track? within the Sportbikes forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; Does riding on the track make you a better rider on the street? Or is the stuff you learn on ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006   #1

Default Riding on the track?

Does riding on the track make you a better rider on the street? Or is the stuff you learn on the track only good in a closed course environment?

What I mean is, riders that do track days or schools certainly end up going a lot faster after a day or two on the track. Are they just learning the track?
justmedrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #2

Well...

I ride at something like 60% on the street.

So if my max speed through a corner is 80mph, I might do it at 60mph.

If I can go to the track and push myself so that I become a faster rider, I may have made it to where I can theoretically take that same corner at 90, 95mph. That means I can go faster with the same margin of error as before. Or, at that same 60mph, I've increased my margin of error, because I'm further from my max speed.

That's the way I see it :shrug
MarkFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #3

It will let you know more about your machine for sure....but it will also show you how lame the street is.
Markus K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #4

vizsladog said:
It will let you know more about your machine for sure....but it will also show you how lame the street is.

+1 - That is the most spot statement! The main reason I ride on the streets now is to relax, not to push myself. The track is where I test my limits.
Pete M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #5

You can directly apply the skills you learn from the track onto the street. And I mean and assume sensible street sport riding, not learning track skills and then trying to be like rossi on I95.

You will learn more about you, your bike and the limits as well as vision, braking, cornering etc. All these things can apply to the street.
gregs111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #6

I went to the California Superbike School in August 2004, and am signed up for Level 2 in May. This school doesn't focus on racing, it focuses on cornering skills, setting up exit and entry, how to use your eyes, and how to ride smoothly. What I found most beneficial was finding the limits of a bike, especially the lean angle and a better line in a corner. I didn't get a knee down (yet!), but it helped me be a lot less intimidated on the street. And of course, it was most definitely FUN!
Dan Michaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #7

There are only a few guys that do trackdays consistently or race that don't slow down when they get on the street. I know a few personally but the majority slowdown on the street. I totally gave up on the "Sunday ride in the twisties". Just not worth it anymore.
fireblade 08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #8

vizsladog said:
Not only more about your machine but sometimes it'll let you know how slow you really are.
After starting trackdays I gave up riding on the street.
kenbgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #9

After you have a lot of time on bike I would recommend going to a trackday or even better, a track school. You will become much more comfortable on your bike. The biggest thing I've gotten out of the track, besides the pure enjoyment, is that anytime the "pucker factor" goes up on the street I don't panic quite as badly because my comfort level is so much higher and I'm able to do a lot more on the bike to get out of the situation.
Wook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #10

vizsladog said:

have you learned how well and R1 slides, and now you want to compare it to a CBR? :redflip
joblow is offline   Reply With Quote