Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Touring > heel toe shifter?????

heel toe shifter?????

This is a discussion on heel toe shifter????? within the Touring forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; I'm goin from a toe shift to a heel toe shift. do i now shift up with my heel and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2006   #1

Default heel toe shifter?????

I'm goin from a toe shift to a heel toe shift. do i now shift up with my heel and down with my toe or vice versa (i'm headin by a harley dealer a little later for a 2004 FLHPI).
dukeofrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006   #2

I'm goin from a toe shift to a heel toe shift. do i now shift up with my heel and down with my toe or vice versa (i'm headin by a harley dealer a little later for a 2004 FLHPI).

That's how it works in theory, but any time I've ridden one, I just use the toe part both ways, could never get the coordination of the heel part.
Lone L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #3

I had never had a heel/toe shifter until I bought my new C90T in April. I didn't like it at first, mainly because I dumped the bike on my leg the first time I got on it, and my foot was swollen. So, I learned to use it the "right" way, and it's second nature now. I also remember from years ago that on every pair of shoes I had, the left shoe top looked terrible from shifting. It's a nice feature once you get used to it.
RAMJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #4

the left shoe top looked terrible from shifting.

It's a badge of honor.

My Dad cut a piece of inner tube to protect his shoes while riding, which looked almost as dorky as the rubber band my Grandfather used to keep his polyester pants out of his bicycle chain. Anyway you look at it, from a genetic standpoint I'm doomed. :D
jnoxenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #5

I might have ya beat. My Dad was an English teacher who is now retired and he always thought motorcycles were pointless. he kinda resembles Barney Rubble in a way. The dude can flyfish though.
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #6

You got it but most of us never use it.
rudytrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #7

I had it on my old '84 Aspencade, and got SPOOOOOILLLLED by it. (Of course, since I can't get my toe between the stock shifter and the engine bank, there wasn't much of an argument anyway.) It's nice when paired with footboards. Travel over 100 miles with pegs and then with footboards, and see which way you lean (pardon the expression :o ).

Markland and Kury both make really good set-ups.
ken c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #8

My heel toe shifter started out as an ornament to me. I wanted to do the toe lift as I learned from the beginning. But when I tried it, my shifts got better. I used to have this problem where I'd try to upshift to second (using my toe) from first and get into neutral as much as 50% of the time -- it used to really get on my nerves. When I used the heel to upshift, it felt good and I rarely (actually I don't remember if it ever happened) miss the shift from first to second. Ain't nothing worse than trying to accelerate and finding you're in neutral; it's worse when I start cursing out loud and forget that people can hear me (earplugs give the illusion that only I can hear myself).

Also, sometimes, if the toe shifter is too low, you have to "work" your foot under the rubber piece to be able to effectively shift (on most bikes this is adjustable). I had this problem the most when I went from pegs to floorboards. With the heel shifter, this is no longer an issue. Plus I think heel shifting helps reduce fatigue of the left shin (tibialis anterior muscle).

You just have to get used to it. In the beginning (first day or two), I had trouble finding the heel shifter and kept hitting the kickstand or something.

Like the previous post said, heel toe shifter and floorboards are a great combo.

Dennis
darkgreent3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #9

I've ridden my cruiser almost 8,000 miles, and I STILL have a problem putting my foot on the heel pedal and shifting into nuetral after I've started. If I didn't have to cut the pedal off, I'd remove it.
newpoint60618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #10

I have to say it seems like a cool idea but my dad picked up his Harley Road King a few weeks back with one and after 20-30 years of never riding a bike, perfect opportunitity to start using it he stills says its easier to shift normally and he does not touch the heel pedal...

I guess muscle memory just makes it too hard to relearn the motion!
rage43130 is offline   Reply With Quote