Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Vintage > CB 125 (1974) Head & tail lamps blowing out

CB 125 (1974) Head & tail lamps blowing out

This is a discussion on CB 125 (1974) Head & tail lamps blowing out within the Vintage forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; Hi, I have a 1974 CB 125 S. I've cleaned and dielectric grease aplied to all the electrical connections. I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011   #1

Question CB 125 (1974) Head & tail lamps blowing out

Hi, I have a 1974 CB 125 S. I've cleaned and dielectric grease aplied to all the electrical connections. I have also done the Radio Shack rectifier mod . Everyting seemed alright , bike runs good , Head light is brite (6 volt system) but 12 volt bulb in tail light was kinda dim. Then the head light bulb blew out. Then the tail light blew out on the next ride. What gives here ? I thought maybe the new RS rectifier let the alternater put to much voltage out for the headlight bulb. But the battery regulates the voltage in these 6 volt batt required to run bikes. And also if that was the case how come the 12 volt tail light blew out ? Then my dumb ass put a $23 tail light pulsating LED bulb in the tail light socket thinking since the LED bulb has built in resisters in it it would regulate the voltage going to it. Well, it blew out too ! What the Heck is going on here ? Did I miss something here. I'm going to check out all the wiring tomorrow in case I hooked something back up wrong after cleaning any particular connection I did. Any ideas anyone ? John
4950cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #2

if the bulbs are black that woiuld indicate excess voltage. What about the voltage regulator? Some of the older models had regulators that were adjustable. Not sure how your machine is wired but again some of the older models had the lights wired in series. Meaning that if the instrument bulbs or any other bulbs were blown then the excess voltage would go to the remaing bulbs and they would fail like dominoes falling.
recycledcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #3

I tried for LED lights on my rims on planning same for my car.
Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote