Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Choppers > NEW PA. INSPECTION LAW

NEW PA. INSPECTION LAW

This is a discussion on NEW PA. INSPECTION LAW within the Choppers forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; The following is the new setup for inspecting reconstructed vehicles in Pa. ATTENTION: ALL OFFICIAL INSPECTION STATIONS QUALITY ASSURANCE OFFICERS ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2006   #1

Default NEW PA. INSPECTION LAW

The following is the new setup for inspecting reconstructed vehicles in Pa.

ATTENTION: ALL OFFICIAL INSPECTION STATIONS
QUALITY ASSURANCE OFFICERS AND PENNSYLVANIA STATE POLICE
BI06-1 SAFETY INSPECTION BULLETIN APRIL 2006
TOPICS IN THIS BULLETIN:
UPDATE REGARDING THE ESTABLISHMENT OF ENHANCED INSPECTION
STATIONS TO INSPECT RECONSTRUCTED VEHICLES
As a follow-up to the September 2005 letter concerning the review of the reconstructed vehicle process, PennDOT has continued to work with the "Specialized Vehicle Compliance Advisory Panel" to establish procedures and requirements for the inspection and titling of reconstructed, specially constructed, modified, flood, recovered theft, collectible vehicles and street rods. This panel (which is prescribed by law) consists of Legislative, Department and Industry representatives.
As you may be aware, any appointed safety inspection station may currently inspect reconstructed, specially constructed, modified, flood, recovered theft, collectible vehicles and street rods, complete the required application form and submit it to PennDOT for processing. Upon receipt of a title, the applicant then has to obtain a registration and license plate and have the vehicle reinspected prior to being able to operate the vehicle.
The new process will consist of a network of specially equipped Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection Stations under contract with PennDOT with specially trained inspection personnel. Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection Stations may also choose to become a participating company in our On-Line Registration Program and be authorized to process title and registration work. This would permit you to issue registration plates, cards and stickers for customers, including those requesting credentials for reconstructed and flood vehicles. For those Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection Stations that decide not to participate in the On-Line Registration Program, the services of the existing network of dealers, agents and messengers, who are able to issue registration credentials for a reconstructed vehicle that qualifies, will be available.
The following questions and answers will provide you with a more comprehensive overview of the program and assist you in determining whether or not you choose to participate in this program.
General
Q. When does PennDOT expect to start the Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection program for
reconstructed, specially constructed, modified, collectibles, flood, recovered theft vehicles and
street rods?
A. PennDOT’s implementation date is scheduled for January 1, 2007.
Q. What types of vehicles will require an Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection?
A. All vehicles currently requiring the submission of an MV-426 application (for reconstructed,
specially constructed, flood, modified, recovered theft, collectible vehicles and street rods)
will require the Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection.
Q. If I am not an Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection Station, will I be authorized to inspect
reconstructed, specially constructed, flood, modified, recovered theft, collectible vehicles and
street rods and complete the required application for the purpose of having a vehicle titled and
registered in Pennsylvania?
A. No. Only those stations appointed as an Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection Station will be
authorized to perform these functions after January 1, 2007.
Facility
Q. Will Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection Stations need to purchase additional equipment?
A. Yes. Stations participating in the Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection Station program will
need the following: a window tint meter, candle power meter, instant or digital camera/printer
and reference manuals illustrating the locations of public Vehicle Identification Numbers.
These items are in addition to the tools and equipment required by the Vehicle Equipment and
Inspection Regulations (Chapter 175) and may be expanded upon as the program evolves.
There may also be equipment and connectivity costs required if you participate in the On-Line
Registration Program. You will need to contact the Business Partners for this information.
Q. How will PennDOT designate and appoint Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection Stations?
A. After a contract between the inspection station and PennDOT is executed, an MV-427 station
application will be completed to add the Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection Station type to
the station’s existing record. This application process will be handled (in much the same
fashion as it is today) through a visit from your Quality Assurance Officer.
Training
Q. Must a mechanic be a certified inspection mechanic in order to perform Enhanced Vehicle
Safety Inspections?
A. Yes. Mechanics wishing to perform the Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspections are required to
have the certification type for the vehicles he/she intends to inspect.
Q. Will additional training be required for Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspectors?
A. Yes, however, specific additional training requirements for the Enhanced Vehicle Safety
Inspection Station program have not yet been finalized. Once the requirements are fully
known, PennDOT will communicate them via a station bulletin.
As additional information becomes available, PennDOT will contact you again through these
inspection station bulletins. As a reminder, all inspection station bulletins can be viewed on-line by visiting our web site at www.dmv.state.pa.us and clicking on "Motor Vehicle Services."
Kurt J. Myers, Director
Bureau of Motor Vehicles

The long & short...it's going to be harder & more expensive to keep custom built bikes legal and the term "modified" will eventually include ANY non-factory equipment.
squirrel017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #2

That window tint meter and candlepower meter sound ominous for cages.
Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #3

You're sharp to pick up on that. Modified will mean ANY change from stock...Exhaust, wheels, you name it.
Old 04-01-2006   #4

Looks like I'm either going to have to give up my inspection licence or go take more courses. I've had my one for cars since 1991 and should have got my bike one. I used to do a few of the reconstructed forms for a buddy of mine who used to fix crashed cars.

Those cheap bastards won't even send ya a new book or messages unless you have a station.

If you really think about it there are so many modified vehicles out there almost every inspection station will need one of these licences.
cjamesm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #5

Well CB I'm thinking this law only applies to getting the vehicle titled, after that I think regular inspectors can do yearly inspections.
Old 04-01-2006   #6

Ahh then that's not so bad.

I do know that if you do a reconstructed vehicle like a crashed car they make you have either a VIN number off a parts car you own or receipts for everything you put into it or if it comes with the parts the VIN number off a parts car owned by the place you bought it. It's not fun getting pulled over in a car that you fixed up from crashed and did all the papaer work and know you sent it all in. The cop tells you the VIN number comes back as no title, after the one town cop says that it might be stolen like who in the hell would steal an 87 Buick Skyhawk? Then having to spend a good couple hours in Harrisburg trying to straighten the whole mess out and calling people you up you know to get a VIN off one of their parts cars.

Not fun at all. Then again nothing dealing with Harrisburg is any fun at all.
halochad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006   #7

sounds a little like Nazi Germany not Germantown, PA to me...
dmb91100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006   #8

It boggles my mind how often and thoroughly vehicles are inspected when the most critical part, the person operating it, pretty much goes unchecked.
doddlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006   #9

No comment :D but how right you are.
Long Doggy Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #10

get a Wyoming tag. were still free here. just a $5 vin inspection, then your good for life. no EPA B.S. or anything like that. but keep it to your self. ssshhhhhhhh
avvacuppa is offline   Reply With Quote