Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Superbike 101

This is a discussion on Superbike 101 within the Motocross forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; I was asked a question by mattsmithe to show the AMA Superbike Rules and how the Class Levels are explained. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006   #1

Default Superbike 101

I was asked a question by mattsmithe to show the AMA Superbike Rules and how the Class Levels are explained.

I am no expert, I grabbed this information from ama superbike site, but it explains in a nutshell the differances of each class and displacment req. Pretty Cool

Enjoy
gotrackday.com/showthread.php?p=420#post420 SuperBike 101 on GoTrackDay.com
The AMA Superbike Championship traces its roots back to 1934, when the AMA first organized motorcycle road racing in the United States. Over the years, the AMA has organized many different road race series to accommodate the continuously evolving technology of motorcycles.

The AMA Superbike Championship was created in 1976 to provide an affordable, level playing field for professional race teams, and as a platform for motorcycle manufacturers to showcase their production sport-performance models. The success of the AMA Superbike formula led to international adoption by FIM and subsequent implementation in virtually every developed country in the world.

A major change occurred in 1986, when the AMA's professional road-racing program diversified from the overall Grand National Championship program. Prior to 1986, riders accumulated points in a variety of race formats including road racing, dirt oval, short-track and Tourist-Trophy events. While separate road-racing championships were awarded, points collected from the various race formats could be combined and applied toward a single elite goal: the coveted AMA Grand National Championship title. Since 1986, the AMA Superbike Series, road race support classes and Grand National Championship have existed as independent championship series.

The AMA Superbike Championship has enjoyed steady growth in teams, events and audiences, which have risen alongside the popularity of street sport bikes and increased television broadcasts. The world's top motorcycle manufacturers develop and showcase their leading-edge technology at AMA Superbike races. The adage, "Race on Sunday, sell on Monday," still holds true. These elite championship teams attract an international field of top-caliber racers from every corner of the globe.

Today, the AMA Superbike Championship stands as the world's premier national Superbike series, and tours with the AMA Supersport Championship and two additional top-caliber bike classes: AMA Superstock and the Formula Xtreme series. The AMA Superbike Championship and support classes are defined by some of the closest and most heated competition in motorsports. Each season, increases in rider talent and motorcycle technology redefine the limits of personal performance and push the laws of physics to the very edge.

The AMA Superbike Championship and support classes are followed by millions of fans around the world, at race events, on television broadcasts and via the Internet.

Now that you know a bit about the history of the championship, here’s a detailed look at the points payout structure and more details about each class.
ashi rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #2

Default Superbike 101

So what you seem to be saying is that prior to 1986, even though there were different bike and track types, the biggest goal was to accumulate points to compete in a general motorcycle award. I just want to make sure I understand. Now you say that the Superbike series has been set aside as a class of its own, with its own award?
Martin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #3

Default Superbike 101

So what you seem to be saying is that prior to 1986, even though there were different bike and track types, the biggest goal was to accumulate points to compete in a general motorcycle award. I just want to make sure I understand. Now you say that the Superbike series has been set aside as a class of its own, with its own award?

I am not saying anything, This inforamtion is verbatum from the AMAsuperbike.com Superbike 101

If this is what your reading, then I guess so,. Persoanlly I was around when Supebike came to life, it was simple a pack of FZ750's KZ900's and stock bikes off the show room. As it has matured it has become what it has become. A great metamorphis if you ask me.

Back then there was no 600, or Superstock
ashi rock is offline   Reply With Quote