Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Highway blaster

This is a discussion on Highway blaster within the Rebel forums, part of the Honda category; I got a Highway Blaster horn and put it on my bike but it instantly blew a fuse. Tried the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2008   #1

Default Highway blaster

I got a Highway Blaster horn and put it on my bike but it instantly blew a fuse. Tried the wires the other way and it cranked and I blew the horn and again blew a fuse. It required a 10 fuse that is what the bike has so what could be wrong? :?:
cpailler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008   #2

Default Highway blaster

Is there a ground wire that needs to be attached to the frame ? Or sometimes, certain accessories are grounded thru their own housings, but the accessory needs to be attached to the bike in order for that grounding to work.

Just a thought. Hopefully, others will chime in........
deis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008   #3

Default Highway blaster

The first thing I would do is put the old horn back on and see if it still works OK.
If it does, try the new horn again. If you still have trouble, then your new horn is using more than 10 amps to work, which is why you are blowing the fuse. If you still have that trouble, I would NOT use a bigger fuse.
I think I would take the horn back and ask for a replacement, or I would wire in a relay.
Let us know what you find, it's kind of an interesting problem.
Best Regards,
NuBiker
xxxxxracheyxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008   #4

Default Highway blaster

I believe you're on the money, NuBiker.....

Did a quick search on www.google.com and found several links that mention the addition of a relay.....

The first 2 are talking about installation in cars, but if you read thru the instructions, I'm sure you can apply it however it needs to be done for the bike:

http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/...orns/corey.htm

http://www.mr2.com/ARTICLE/Install_FIAMM_Horns.html

http://www.gadgetjq.com/airhorn.htm
Jackel06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008   #5

Default Highway blaster

The bike has a 10 amp fuse - but that's not just for the horn.
That includes gauge lights and I believe tail light - What's left after that current draw is what you have for the horn - which you state requires 10 amps. You probably need to wire a seperate hot lead from the battery to a horn relay that the horn button will energize.
rosesbloom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008   #6

Default Highway blaster

I recently added this horn to my Rebel:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/539

I was not sure what to do for brackets so I got an assortment:

I ended up using an elbow bracket:

If I remember correctly, your relay has 4 terminals numbered 85, 86, 87, and 31.

Terminals 85 and 86 are the trigger leads. You attach the two leads that are going to your existing horn here. Polarity does not matter. At this point, if you flip your ignition and press the horn button, you will hear the relay operate.

Terminal 31 (?) looks different from the other terminals. Where the other 3 terminals are parallel to the sides of the relay, terminal 31 is perpendicular to the side of the relay.
Anyway, term 31 goes to a fused 12 volt lead from the positive side of your battery. I used a blade type fuse because of the vibration on the Rebel. I used 14 guage wire for the leads to the battery.
Term 87 of the relay goes to the "+" side on your horn. The "-" side of your horn goes to the negative side of your battery.
When I ran the leads from the battery to the horn, I removed the seats on the bike. Then I took off that big bolt at the end of the gas tank. Then I loosened the two side bolts on the gas tank and propped up the tank with some books. I also waited until the bike needed gas, so the tank would be easier to lift. Also, you have to shut off the gas at the shut off valve, and pull off the rubber tubing from the shut off valve before you prop the tank up..
It was easy to fish the wires under the tank, but you could take the gas tank off completely, if you want to.
One last thing, I hooked up the relay to the existing horn to make sure I did everything correctly, then the following week, I switched over to the new horn.
Hope this helps, my horn info is at my wife's house, if I made any mistakes on the directions, I will come back and edit out the errors.
But I am pretty sure this is how I did it.
Good luck!!!
goolinbursti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008   #7

Default Highway blaster

Thank's to all for the info. We will try again in a few days with another horn.Got to wait til hubby is off work again. His bike is in the shop for it's first checkup and he wont be able to pick it up until tuesday because of his work schedule.( It's a 2005 boulevard C-50) It is driving him nuts because it is supposed to be a beautiful weekend and he wanted to ride it to work. He said he would take mine. You would just have to see my husband. He is a big man and looks like a :lol: :lol: clown on a little bike. I don't think he really will ride it to work. Although he does love to ride my Rebel. He said it is about the funnest bike he has ever been on. :lol: :lol:
Old 12-01-2008   #8

Default Highway blaster

I got a Highway Blaster horn and put it on my bike but it instantly blew a fuse. Tried the wires the other way and it cranked and I blew the horn and again blew a fuse. It required a 10 fuse that is what the bike has so what could be wrong? :?:

Teesee:

This is the Harbor Freight $10 special (FIAMM low or high tone) yes?

We did the 2-wire installation of low tones on my 2001 Rebel and (once she got to hear mine and it hadn't mucked anything up) my wife's 2006 Rebel.

It was simply a horn replacement. Want pics?
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #9

Default Highway blaster

jsonder
I would really like to see pics if it isn't any trouble. Where did you get the horn? And you say it was simple to do?
Old 12-04-2008   #10

Default Highway blaster

Here is the URL for the low frequency horn (search defaults and just shows the hig frequency):

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44759

OK, Pics (the 2006 is white, of course)

We used existing connectors from the Honda horns.
cara is offline   Reply With Quote