Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

laid it down

This is a discussion on laid it down within the Rebel forums, part of the Honda category; Well I came home from work early yesterday so I could ride my bike with my husband. I was still ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008   #1

Default laid it down

Well I came home from work early yesterday so I could ride my bike with my husband. I was still in the yard when I took off. I don't know what happened I guess I gave to much throttle and then I guess I freaked and couldn't think about applying the breaks or the clutch. Well I laid it down. Like I said I was still in the yard [thank GOD] Well I still bruised my chest wall and ribs. Very sore. My husband thinks I should sell the bike now. He is afraid I will get hurt really bad. I know it was my inexperience that caused this to happen. My question is am I the only new rider to do this and should this be a sign that riding may not be for me? By the way that little Rebel didn't even get a scratch !!!!!!! Tough little bugger
Ivala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #2
Jas

Default laid it down

Hi Teesee, if you love riding don't get rid of your rebel! I've dropped mine twice now but I know what I did wrong and I'm not doin that anymore :roll:

Maybe I'm just stubborn, but I just keep riding and learning and reading posts from other riders which have helped me a lot. The MSF course was the smartest thing I did. I had never ridden except as a passenger so I needed to know EVERYTHING!

I was reading posts from other riders before I ever got on my bike and just from reading those, I knew that most new riders will lay the bike down. It's not a matter of 'if' but 'when'. So I was ok when I did, although a little :oops:

So you're not the only one and it does get better :lol:
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #3

Default laid it down

teesee - DON'T GIVE UP!

If your hubby is like mine he was freaked when you decided to ride and is very concerned about your safety. I waited a long time to get my bike and yes I make mistakes but I'm learning from them. I even told my DH that I would take the beginners MSF class again if that would make him feel better. He was really surprised and told me I'm actually doing better than he expected.

Analyze what happened - ask questions here - even if you think they sound stupid and the answer you get is so simple that you feel goofy for not realizing that.

I'm glad you weren't hurt badly. Hang in there!
pistol pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #4

Default laid it down

Hi teesee,
Do a Yahoo search for Motorcycle Safety Foundation, and Rider's Edge. Hopefully, both may offer classes in your area.
Here is an excellent website with various articles you might like to read:

http://www.msgroup.org/TIPS.ASP

Good Luck to ya, keep us informed of your progress!!!
NuBiker
gaurav bhubaneswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #5

Default laid it down

Teesee
You don't say whether you have had formal training or not, but as suggested, if you haven't, put the bike away until you have. If you plan to ignore this advice, at the very least agree to spend at least 20 hours in parking lots practicing low speed manoeuvers, braking, turning, shifting, etc.

What happened to you was definitely a 'panic' response, where you froze up. In an emergency situation, you will automatically revert to what you are used to doing (i.e. what you have practiced), so practice where it is safe.

I gather that your husband rides as well. Sometimes that's a good thing, since one would expect that he would be more accepting of the dangers. On the other hand, he IS your husband, and presumably cares deeply about your welfare, and as a rider,is aware of the dangers.

I wish I spoke from experience, but I do not. I have been married for 34 years, to a woman who, like me, rode motorcycles before we met. While I have left my share of skin, bone, leather and blood on the road, she has never had an accident more serious than a stationary tip-over. I hope that I would be able to handle her having a significant crash, but I have always been hesitant to comment on untested virtues. Man, I hope I didn't just jinx her.....

Brent
joninjapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #6

Default laid it down

teesee.......It's very common for new riders to dump the bike during the early stages of acquiring & building upon their own riding skills. This is one reason why I never reommend a brand new bike for a new rider, as the odds are the bike will get dumped (not always of course, but more often than not) & it would be a shame to incur any damage, be it slight or otherwise to a brand new bike (possible harm to the new rider goes without saying). As mentioned, the MSF course & practice, practice, practice are very important.

It's rarely spoken about, but the reality is that there "are" some folks, who for whatever reason, are simply not cut out for riding on 2 wheels. (Please note: I'm NOT saying that this is the case in your situation).

As Brent mentioned, your husband has valid concerns stemming from his caring for you. Don't be hard on yourself & hang in there! We ALL have to go thru the initial learning period.

Ride Safe........
Trish G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #7

Default laid it down

Thank's to all for your words of wisdom. Yesterday was only my 2 time ever on a motorcycle. I have not taken a class but I will before I try to get on the road. Saterday was the day I got my bike and I road it for 3 hrs[parking lot] I did ok. I need a LOT of parking lot driving. I just want me and my husband to be able to ride our bikes through the mountains together.I really hope that when I do get back on my bike I don't have nervous flashbacks of falling. I am not scared of the bike, just scared of getting hurt worse.I also hope my husband doesn't make me sell it. He feels that it is his fault I got hurt. Because I want to ride like him.
Old 08-23-2008   #8

Default laid it down

teesee wrote: "I really hope that when I do get back on my bike I don't have nervous flashbacks of falling. I am not scared of the bike, just scared of getting hurt worse"

The right attitude, perspectives & mental outlook can be one of your most valuable allies.

Keep the inherent dangers that go along with riding in the back of your mind, but please DO NOT "obsess" on them. Let those thoughts stay quietly in place back there, but keep your focus on staying alert & sharpening your riding skills.

A motorcycle is merely a machine & when operating to the best of it's mechanical ability, it's there for YOU to direct. You're in the rider's seat, you're in command. Keep a clear head, keep your wits about you.......in time, you'll find yourself "bonding" with the bike. Man/Woman & Machine operating as "One"..... :wink:
Jamie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #9

Default laid it down

.I also hope my husband doesn't make me sell it.
! He can DO that? :?
kelsey m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #10

Default laid it down

No I guess he can't make me sell but he can strongly suggest. But we talked a lot last night and we are going to do a LOT of practicing together. I will also take the msf.Checked it out and I think it will be extremely helpful to me.I am not going to give up.I will ride through the mountains with my husband some day. :lol: