Newman Indian (1970-1976) Identification Guide
From dsntcmpute's 1970's Indians Yahoo Group
All cycles with no front downtubes:
- ItalJet models,all made in Italy. 50cc Morini and Minarelli engines.
All cycles with front downtubes:
- Taiwan-made "Indian" cycles,usually larger than 50cc (except SE54). The odd man out here is the CX80/CX50 which have downtubes but were ItalJet sourced.
All with headlights/taillights:
- Taiwan made SE54/74,ME/MS/MI models 70cc thru 175.
All with side hinged seats:
- Taiwan made M-series.70cc thru 175cc.
All with Indian head profile cast into engine side cover:
- 175cc Minarelli
All with oval "Indian" removeable side nameplates:
- 50/70/75/80cc Minarelli engines.
All with rectangular riveted Indian nameplate:
- 125cc (71-75)
All with plastic airboxes,frame sidecovers:
- 1975 175cc,1976 125/175cc models.