The Harley-Davidson FLH is commonly known by several names depending on when it was built. These names include the Hydra-Glide, the Duo-Glide, and the Electra Glide.
The FLH Designation started as a more highly-tuned version of the FL with high-compression heads, higher-lift cams, and polished ports in 1955.
The FLH model was given a new frame in 1958. This frame included a rear swingarm suspended by a pair of coil-over-shock suspension units. In honor of this fully-suspended chassis, the FLH's model name was changed from Hydra-Glide to Duo-Glide
The third and final change given to the name of the basic FL model would occur in 1965, the final year of the "Panhead" engines. These last "Panheads" were the first "big-twin" Harley-Davidson engines to be equipped with electric starters, the Servi-Car having received electric start the year before. This innovation for Harley-Davidson was greeted with the new model name of Electra Glide.
JFK's motorcycle escort was composed of 1963 Duo Glide's.
The Heritage Electra was a retro styled version of the Shovelhead. Special equipment included fringed leather saddlebags, a sprung seat, and a distinctive paint job. The official description of the colors was orange and olive drag, unofficially known as "peas and carrots". Production was quite small, only 784 were built this year.