Ducati 748: review, history, specs
|Also called||748 Biposto, 748 - 748 S|
|Production||1994 - 2003|
750cc v2, four-stroke
|Bore / Stroke||88.0mm x 61.5mm|
|Top Speed||240 km/h (150 mph) (Economy, Biposto)
250 km/h (155 mph) (SP, SPS)
|Horsepower||94.94 HP (70.8 KW) @ 11000RPM|
|Torque||53.84 ft/lbs (73.0 Nm) @ 9000RPM|
|Spark Plug||NGK DR8EA '97-03|
|Battery||YUASA YB16AL-A2 '97-03|
|Transmission||Gear box: 6-speed
Final Drive: chain
|Final Drive||Chain: 520 `97-02|
|Suspension||Front: Inverted forks
Rear: Progressive linkage with adjustable monoshock
|Brakes||Front: double disc
Rear: single disc
|Wheelbase||55.51 inches (1410 mm)|
|Length||79.92 inches (2030 mm)|
|Height||42.52 inches (1080 mm)|
|Seat Height||31.1 inches (790 mm)|
|Weight||200 kg (440 lb) (Strada)
202 kg (445 lb) (Biposto)
|Oil Filter||K&N KN-153|
|Fuel Capacity||4.49 Gallon (17.00 Liters)|
|Fuel Consumption||0.66 liters/100 km (151.5 km/l or 356.40 mpg)|
The Ducati 748 was a v2, four-stroke Sport Bike motorcycle produced by Ducati between 1995 and 2003. It could reach a top speed of 149 mph (240 km/h). Max torque was 53.84 ft/lbs (73.0 Nm) @ 9000 RPM. Claimed horsepower was 94.94 HP (70.8 KW) @ 11000 RPM.
The Ducati 748 Biposto has been manufactured between 1995 to 1999, but the 748 model was available till 2003, when the 749 Ducati replaced it. The 748 Biposto features the same frame, suspensions and brakes as the 916 model.
Talking about the history of the 748 bike, it's worth mentioning that in 1994 the SP version of the Biposto was born. In 1997, the SPS version with titanium con rods and lightweight frame was released. In 2000, the company launched three versions, the 748E, the 748S and the 748R models, which replaced the Biposto. In 2002, all the models were discontinued.
The bike has a 6-speed transmission.
It came with a 120/60-zr17 front tire and a 180/55-zr17 rear tire. Stopping was achieved via double disc in the front and a single disc in the rear. The front suspension was a Inverted forks while the rear was equipped with a Progressive linkage with adjustable monoshock. The 748 was fitted with a 4.49 Gallon (17.00 Liters) fuel tank. The bike weighed just 432.11 pounds (196.0 Kg). The wheelbase was 55.51 inches (1410 mm) long.
1995 - 1999 Ducati 748
- Shampoo: Girl Power
- Black Sash
- Rollin' With The Nines
- Sleeping with the Devil
- Mutant X
- La tigre e la neve
- Monster Garage
- Sleeper Cell
- Long Way Round
- The Italian Job
- Falloon, Ian (2004), Standard Catalog of Ducati Motorcycles 1946-2005, Iola, WI: KP Books, pp. 223–229, ISBN 978-0873497145
- 2019 Western Power Sports Catalog. Western Power Sports. 2019.
- Don Canet (April 1997), "Guilt by Association—Ducati 748: The Bike Without a Class", Cycle World: 49–50, https://books.google.com/books?id=QGMMRS3b0KQC&pg=RA3-PA52
- 2019 K&L Supply Co Catalog. K&L Supply Co. 2019.
- Falloon, Ian (2013). Ducati Desmoquattro Twins: 851, 888, 916, 996, 998, ST4 1988 to 2004, The Essential Buyer's Guide. Veloce Publishing. ISBN 9781845844301. https://books.google.com/books?id=RA-SquT7MWUC&pg=PA14.