The Ducati 848 is a Template:Convert L-twin sport bike manufactured by Ducati. It was announced on November 6, 2007 for the 2008 model year and replaces the 749, although the 848 model name was already listed on the compatible parts table for the 1098 fuel tank, giving away the secret a few months early. The 848 makes a tested Template:Convert at 10,000 rpm and Template:Auto ftlbf at 8,250 rpm. With a manufacturer claimed dry weight of Template:Convert, the 848 undercuts its larger displacement sibling, the 1198, by Template:Convert.
Changes from predecessor
The trellis frame of the 848 uses tubes of a larger diameter with thinner walls than the 749, arranged in a simplified pattern, like the 1098.
Although the 1198 and 848 share many similar components, as per the 916/748 and 999/749 models, the 848 uses a wet clutch rather than the traditional dry clutch of previous superbikes from Ducati. The manufacturer claims it reduces weight, improves both service life and "feel" of the clutch and reduces noise. Ducati has in the past held to only dry clutches in accordance with marketing their bikes as obeying the design imperatives of racing above all, unlike, as Ducati would have it, ordinary street bikes. While a dry clutch "rattles like a bucket of rocks," Ducati and its adherents felt the clutch's "typical noise is music to bikers' ears." The 848's wet clutch is a stark departure from this, because, "Ducati made it very clear that there is a new philosophy within the factory to develop each bike with specifications and capabilities that are aligned with the bike's target audience and intended environment."
Comparison with larger Ducati superbikes
Template:Expand section The four-caliper front brakes are cast rather than machined monoblocs,Template:Clarify resulting in greater braking effort than on the 1098, in spite of the 848's lighter weight.
- Exhaust system layout
- Single-sided swingarm
- A single, fully adjustable Showa rear shock
- Similar oil cooler and cooler radiator
- Same wheelbase (1430mm)
- Same rake and trail
- Same valve angles
- Magnesium head covers
- Ducati 848 Tech Spec, Ducati Motor Holding, 2009, http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my2009/ModelPage.jhtml?family=Superbike&model=SBK848-09
- "Cycle World - 2x2: 2009 Ducati 848 vs. 2009 Triumph Daytona 675:", Cycle World (Hachette Filipacchi Media, U.S.), July 2009, http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=12&article_id=1430&page_number=2
- Duke (2007)
- "Ducati 848", Web Bike World (webWorld International), 2009, http://www.webbikeworld.com/ducati-motorcycles/ducati-848/
- Ducati, Ducati, 2009-03-16, http://www.ducati.com/od/ducatinorthamerica/en/bikes/model.jhtml?model=2390, retrieved 2009-10-17
- Cernicky (2007)
- Ducati 848 MY08 Specifications, Ducati.com, http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my2008/ModelPage.jhtml?family=Superbike&model=SBK848-08
- Ducati TechCafe FAQ
- Bond (2006)
- Norris (2008)
- Bond, Steve (9 December 2006), Gorgeous Monster totally impractical, Toronto Star, http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/131390
- Cernicky, Mark (December 2007), "WebRide: 2008 Ducati 848", Cycle World (Hachette Filipacchi Media, U.S.), http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=568
- Ducati TechCafe FAQ, "7)Why do Ducatis have dry clutches?", Ducati.com, Ducati Motor Holding, http://www.ducati.com/bikes/techcafe.jhtml?part=faq&value=faq#question7
- Duke, Kevin (28 December 2007), "2008 Ducati 848 Road Test", Motorcycle.com, http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ducati/2008-ducati-848-road-test-71220.html, retrieved 2008-03-20
- Hutchison, Ken (17 December 2007), "2008 Ducati 848 First Ride", MotocycleUSA.com, http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/65/240/Motorcycle-Article/2008-Ducati-848-First-Ride.aspx
- Norris, Mark (4 January 2008), "Soup Tested: 2008 Ducati 848; Addition By Subtraction", SuperbikePlanet.com (Hardscrabble Media), http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Jan/0801-848test.htm
- Norris, Mark (10 January 2008), "Ducati 848 vs. 1098S: A Snap Shot Comparison", SuperbikePlanet.com (Hardscrabble Media), http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Jan/080110vs.htm
- Video: First ride of the new Ducati 848, Motorcycle News, 3 December 2007
- Video: Ducati 1098 vs 848, Motorcycle News, 19 December 2007